Parables of Jesus

Chapter 2

『The Parable of Father and Two Sons』

Seoulsmyrna Church

Pastor Sung Soo Kim

말씀 나누겠습니다.

Let’s share the Word.

예수님의 비유 두 번째 시간입니다.

It’s the second time of the parables of Jesus.

아버지와 두 아들의 비유, 누가복음 15장 11절에서 32절까지의 말씀 함께 봉독하시죠.

The parable of a father and his two sons; let’s read the Gospel of Luke, chapter 15, verse 11 to 32 together.

(눅15:11~32)

15:11 2)예수께서 말씀하셨다. "어떤 사람에게 아들이 둘 있는데 그, '그가'

15:12 작은 아들이 아버지에게 말하기를 '아버지, 재산 가운데서 내게 돌아올 몫을 내게 주십시오' 하였다. 그래서 아버지는 살림을 두 아들에게 나누어 주었다.

15:13 며칠 뒤에 작은 아들은 제 것을 다 챙겨서 먼 지방으로 가서, 거기서 방탕하게 살면서, 그 재산을 낭비하였다.

15:14 그가 모든 것을 탕진했을 때에, 그 지방에 크게 흉년이 들어서, 그는 아주 궁핍하게 되었다.

15:15 그래서 그는 그 지방의 주민 가운데 한 사람을 찾아가서, 몸을 의탁하였다. 그 사람은 그를 들로 보내서 돼지를 치게 하였다.

15:16 그는 돼지가 먹는 쥐엄 열매라도 좀 먹고 배를 채우고 싶은 심정이었으나, 그에게 먹을 것을 주는 사람이 없었다.

15:17 그제서야 그는 제정신이 들어서, 이렇게 말하였다. '내 아버지의 그 많은 품꾼들에게는 먹을 것이 남아도는데, 나는 여기서 굶어 죽는구나.

15:18 내가 일어나 아버지에게 돌아가서, 이렇게 말씀드려야 하겠다. 아버지, 내가 하늘과 아버지 앞에 죄를 지었습니다.

15:19 나는 더 이상 아버지의 아들이라고 불릴 자격이 없으니, 나를 품꾼의 하나로 삼아 주십시오.'

15:20 그는 일어나서, 아버지에게로 갔다. 그가 아직도 먼 거리에 있는데, 그의 아버지가 그를 보고 측은히 여겨서, 달려가 그의 목을 껴안고, 입을 맞추었다.

15:21 아들이 아버지에게 말하였다. '아버지, 내가 하늘과 아버지 앞에 죄를 지었습니다. 이제부터 나는 아버지의 아들이라고 불릴 자격이 없습니다.3)' 다른 고대 사본들은 절 끝에 '나를 품꾼의 하나로 삼아 주십시오'를 첨가하였음

15:22 그러나 아버지는 종들에게 말하였다. '어서, 가장 좋은 옷을 꺼내서, 그에게 입히고, 손에 반지를 끼우고, 발에 신을 신겨라.

15:23 그리고 살진 송아지를 끌어내다가 잡아라. 우리가 먹고 즐기자.

15:24 나의 이 아들은 죽었다가 살아났고, 내가 잃었다가 되찾았다.' 그래서 그들은 잔치를 벌였다.

15:25 그런데 큰 아들이 밭에 있다가 돌아오는데, 집에 가까이 이르렀을 때에, 음악 소리와 춤추면서 노는 소리를 듣고,

15:26 종 하나를 불러서, 무슨 일인지를 물어 보았다.

15:27 종이 그에게 말하였다. '아우님이 집에 돌아왔습니다. 건강한 몸으로 돌아온 것을 반겨서, 주인 어른께서 살진 송아지를 잡으셨습니다.'

15:28 큰 아들은 화가 나서, 집으로 들어가려고 하지 않았다. 아버지가 나와서 그를 달랬다.

15:29 그러나 그는 아버지에게 대답하였다. '나는 이렇게 여러 해를 두고 아버지를 섬기고 있고, 아버지의 명령을 한 번도 어긴 일이 없는데, 나에게는 친구들과 함께 즐기라고, 염소 새끼 한 마리도 주신 일이 없습니다.

15:30 그런데 창녀들과 어울려서 아버지의 재산을 다 삼켜 버린 이 아들이 오니까, 그를 위해서는 살진 송아지를 잡으셨습니다.'

15:31 아버지가 그에게 말하였다. '얘야, 너는 늘 나와 함께 있으니 내가 가진 모든 것은 다 네 것이다.

15:32 그런데 너의 이 아우는 죽었다가 살아났고, 내가 잃었다가 되찾았으니, 즐기며 기뻐하는 것이 마땅하다.'"

<Lk. 15:11~32>
11Jesus continued: 'There was a man who had two sons.

12The younger one said to his father, 'Father, give me my share of the estate.' So he divided his property between them.

13'Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living.

14After he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in that whole country, and he began to be in need.

15So he went and hired himself out to a citizen of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs.

16He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything. 17"When he came to his senses, he said, 'How many of my father's hired men have food to spare, and here I am starving to death!

18I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you.

19I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired men.'

20So he got up and went to his father. 'But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.

21"The son said to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.'

22"But the father said to his servants, 'Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet.

23Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let's have a feast and celebrate.

24For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' So they began to celebrate.

25'Meanwhile, the older son was in the field. When he came near the house, he heard music and dancing.

26So he called one of the servants and asked him what was going on.

27'Your brother has come,' he replied, 'and your father has killed the fattened calf because he has him back safe and sound.'

28'The older brother became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him.

29But he answered his father, 'Look! All these years I've been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends.

30But when this son of yours who has squandered your property with prostitutes comes home, you kill the fattened calf for him!'

31" 'My son,' the father said, 'you are always with me, and everything I have is yours.

32But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' " Amen.

오늘도 여러분이 너무 잘아는 이야기죠? 탕자의 비유.

Today’s story is also so familiar to you, isn’t it? The Parable of the Prodigal Son.

그러나 과연 여러분이 진짜 이 비유를 제대로 이해하고 있는지 잘 들어보세요.

However, to judge whether you understand it properly, listen carefully, please.

사도신경도 그랬지만 비유에 관한 강해 역시 아직 지금 신학계라든지 우리 기독교계에 나와있지 않은 그러한 조금 완성도 있는 강해집을 만들려고 아주 정말 애를 쓰는 중입니다.

Just like the case on the Apostles’ Creed, to write a well-made collection of expository preaching on the Parables of Jesus which has not been presented in the theological world or Christian world yet, I’m making every effort.

그러니 여러분이 잘 들어서, 그동안 못 들어 본 이야기라고 해서 어색하게 받아들이지 않으셨으면 좋겠어요.

So, please listen carefully, and though you haven’t heard this kind of story, I hope you don’t take it so awkwardly.

예수그리스도의 십자가와 보혈의 피와 은혜 속에서 어떻게 성경에 일관성이 있는지를 제대로 이해하시는 분들이라면 오늘 이 강해가 굉장히 익사이팅하게 와 닿으시겠지만 기존의 인본주의적 해석에 익숙해있는 분들은 조금 의아해하실지도 몰라요. 한번 잘 들어보십시요.

If you understand how much consistent the Bible is in the Cross of Jesus Christ, His precious blood and grace, today’s explanation would be very exciting, but to those familiar with the existing humanistic interpretations, it may sound a little quizzical. So, be patient and hear me out.

예수님의 비유 두 번째 시간입니다.

It’s the second time of the parables of Jesus.

오늘 본문은 우리가 흔히 ‘탕자의 비유’라고 부르는 아주 익숙한 예수님의 비유입니다.

Today’s text is what we usually call ‘the Parable of the Prodigal son’, a very familiar parable of Jesus.

대부분의 독자들이 이 비유를 이해하기를 ‘탕자가 아버지를 떠나 허랑방탕하게 살다가 스스로 회개를 하고 돌아왔더니 아버지가 문밖에 서서 기다리시다가 맞아 주셨다. 그러니까 우리도 회개하고 돌아가면 아버지가 사랑으로 맞아주실 것이다.’정도로 이해를 하고 있는 것 같습니다.

Most readers seem to understand this parable in this way; ‘A prodigal son had left his father and squandered his property in a reckless living, but when he repented for himself and went back home, his father, who had been waiting for him outside the door, welcomed him with his heart. Thus, if we repent and go back, our Father will welcome us with love’.

그래서 이 비유의 주인공이 탕자가 된 것입니다. 그러나 이 비유의 주인공은 탕자가 아닙니다.

That’s the reason the main character of this parable became the prodigal son. But, the main character of it isn’t him.

이 해석 역시 아주 이기적인 인본주의적 요소가 많이 묻어있는 그런 해석입니다.

This kind of interpretation is also the one steeped with selfish and humanistic elements very much.

나죠. 내가 돌아가면 아버지가 받아 줄거라는 거죠.

It’s all about ‘me’. When ‘I’ come back, ‘my’ father will take ‘me’ in.

저는 개인적으로 이 비유의 주인공은 아버지라 생각을 합니다.

Personally, I think the main character of this parable is the father.

저는 이 비유를, 아버지가 집을 떠난 두 아들을 어떠한 사랑과 인내와 기다림으로 받아 주시는가에 초점을 맞추어, 역시 예수 그리스도의 십자가로 풀어 보도록 하겠습니다.

Focusing on the father greeting his two lost sons with what kind of love, patience and wait, I’ll unravel this parable through the Cross of Jesus Christ as well.

뱀톤 특강의 주제 설교자였던 해스팅스 라솰을 비롯한 많은 신학자들이 이 비유 안에 무슨 십자가와 예수가 들어있냐고,그냥 회개만 하면 모든 인간은 구원에 이를 수 있다는 알매니언주의 적 해석을 하곤 하는데, 그건 이슬람 교도들이 이 비유를 해석하는 것과 똑같은 방식입니다.

Including Hastings Rashall, the preacher of Bampton Lectures, many theologians tend to explain that no such a story about Jesus and the Cross is in this parable, simply interpreting, as long as we repent, all human beings can reach salvation, which is Arminianism interpretation, the similar way to Muslims’.

이슬람교도들도 물론 성경이 있습니다. 이슬람교도들이 이 비유의 해석을 그렇게 해요. 회개하고 돌아가면 받아 준다고 해석을 한단 말입니다.

Muslims also have the Bible. They interpret this parable in that way. They say if we repent and go back, we’re forgiven and welcomed.

물론 존 스토트 목사님께서 거기에 대해 잘 반박을 해 주셨지만 제가 보기에는 너무 설득력이 부족합니다. 너무 억지스럽게 반박을 해서 오히려 제가 부끄러웠어요. 오늘 제가 제대로 한번 반박을 해볼 테니까 잘 들어보세요.

Of course, Pastor John Stott reputed to that interpretation well, but in my opinion, his explanation seems to lack persuasion pretty much. His refutation seemed so obstinate that I rather felt shameful. I’ll refute it in the right manner today, so please listen up.

우리는 이 비유에서 어떻게 십자가와 예수를 찾아낼 것인가? 지금부터 한번 시작하겠습니다.

How can we find the Cross and Jesus Christ in this parable indeed? The story begins now.

먼저 우리가 이 비유를 ‘알레고리적으로 해석을 할 것인가? 아니면 스토리로 해석을 할 것인가?’에서부터 출발을 해야 되요.

First, we should start from whether to interpret this parable as an ‘allegory’ or a ‘story’.

많은 신학자들이 이 비유를 해석을 하시면서 한 부류는 알레고리로, 전적으로 알레고리로 해석을 해야 한다고 목소리를 높이고 있고, 다른 한 무리는 스토리로 해석을 해야 한다고 주장을 합니다.

Interpreting this parable, one group of many theologians argues to interpret it as an allegory, absolutely allegorically, whereas the other group maintains to interpret it as a story.

그리고 거기에 대한 근거로 이런 저런 이유를 대고 있는데, 저는 그러한 논의가 사실상 아주 무의미하고 소모적인 논쟁이라 생각을 합니다.

Also, they provide one reason or another as the ground of their arguments, but I don’t think such debates meaningful and fruitful.

알레고리적으로 해석을 하던, 스토리 적으로 해석을 하던 우리는 성경이 우리에게 전해주고자 하는 메시지만 정확하게 받아 챙기면 되는 것입니다.

Whether it’s interpreted as an allegory or a story, if we correctly receive the message the Bible tries to give us, that will do.

제 개인적인 생각으로 이 비유 안에는 알레고리적 요소와 스토리 적 요소가 공존하고 있다고 생각을 합니다. 제가 왜 그렇게 생각을 하는지는 오늘 강해가 끝나면 여러분이 자연스럽게 아시게 될 것입니다.

In my personal opinion, allegorical elements and story elements coexist in this parable. At the end of today’s sermon, you’ll naturally understand why I think that way.

그렇다면 이제 이 비유를 올바로 해석하기 위해서 이 비유가 배경으로 삼고 있는 고대시대의 사회문화적 배경에 대해 조금 정보가 있어야겠지요?

Now, to interpret this parable properly, we should have some sociocultural background information of the ancient society the parable is based on, don’t we?

당시 고대사회, 특히 유대사회에는 부모가 자식에게 유산을 물려 줄 때 큰아들이 항상 동생들의 두 배를 받았었고, 동생들이 나머지를 갖고 나누는 식으로 유산 분배를 했습니다.

In ancient societies, especially in the Jewish society, when parents handed over their property to their children, the eldest son always received the double of the shares the little brothers would inherit, and the little brothers divided the rest.

그러나 부모의 유산은 항상 부모가 돌아가셨을 때 자식들에게 분배가 되었고, 혹 부모가 살아계셨을 때 유산 분배가 이루어졌다고 하더라도, 부모가 돌아가시기 전까지는 그 재산의 소유권과 처분권과 관할권이 여전히 부모에게 있었습니다.

However, the inheritance was always distributed to the children only after the parents passed away, and in the case that the inheritance was made while the parents were still alive, the ownership, the authority to dispose the property and the jurisdiction of the property still belonged to the parents until they died.

자식들은 부모가 돌아가셔야 비로소 그 재산의 처분권을 행사할 수 있었습니다. 그 전까지는 부모가 갖고 있어요.

The children could not exert the authority to dispose the property until their parents died. Before that, the parents held it.

그래서 이 아버지도 큰아들에게 그러죠. 유산을 이미 분배했자나요. 작은아들이 달라 그랬을 때 큰아들에게도 분배했단 말입니다. ‘얘야, 이게 다 니꺼아냐. 둘째는 다 가져갔으니까. 다 니껀데 내가 잠시 갖고 있는거 아냐. 근데 왜 그렇게 화를 내?’라고 이야기하지 않았습니까?

That’s why the father in the parable told his older son. Since the father already distributed his property when the little son asked him to do it, the older son also received his own share. That’s why the father said, ‘My son, everything I have is yours, since the little one already took his own share. It’s all yours and I’m just looking after yours for a while. Then, why are you so mad?’

그렇게 아버지가 돌아가셔야 처분권을 행사할 수 있어요. 뿐만 아니라 부모와 자식 간의 예의와 지켜야 할 규범이 지금 보다 훨씬 엄격했습니다. 그래서 유대의 율법은 패역한 자식에 대한 부모와 사회의 처벌을 이렇게까지 규정을 하고 있습니다. 율법입니다, 이게. 신명기 21장 18절입니다.

Just like that, only after the father passed away, the sons could exert their authorities of disposition. Moreover, the manners and rules between parents and children were much stricter than now. So, the Jewish law defined the parental and social punishment for a rebellious son this far. This is the law. It’s in Deuteronomy, chapter 21, verse 18.

(신21:18~21)

18 사람에게 완악하고 패역한 아들이 있어 그 아비의 말이나 그 어미의 말을 순종치 아니하고 부모가 징책 하여도 듣지 아니하거든 (즉, 야단쳐도 안 듣거든)

19 그 부모가 그를 잡아가지고 성문에 이르러 그 성읍 장로들에게 나아가서

20 그 성읍 장로들에게 말하기를 우리의 이 자식은 완악하고 패역하여 우리말을 순종치 아니하고 방탕하며 술에 잠긴 자라 하거든

21 그 성읍의 모든 사람들이 그를 돌로 쳐 죽일지니 이같이 네가 너의 중에 악을 제하라 그리하면 온 이스라엘이 듣고 두려워하리라

<Dt.21:18~21>
18If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him, (That is, if he doesn’t listen, regardless of being scolded)

19his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the olders at the gate of his town.

20They shall say to the olders, 'This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a profligate and a drunkard.'

21Then all the men of his town shall stone him to death. You must purge the evil from among you. All Israel will hear of it and be afraid.

이대로 했으면 우리 중에 살아있을 사람은 단 한 사람도 없을 것입니다. 근데 이게 율법이란 말입니다. 하나님의 율법, 다 죽여버리라는 거예요. 부모 말 안 들으면. 사실 이 율법은 하나님 아버지를 떠난 패역한 죄인들에 대한 형벌이 에둘러 표현되어 있는 것입니다.

If it went by the book as it is written, none of us could exist. Then, this is the law, God’s law, which says to kill us all if we don’t listen to our parents. In effect, this law is an oblique expression‍ describing the punishment for the rebellious sinners who left God the Father.

하나님의 은혜를 떠난 패역한 자들은 모두 돌에 맞아 죽어도 싼 그런 죄인들임을 웅변하고 있는 것이죠. 아무튼 유대인들은 아버지에게 불순종하고, 아버지의 마음을 아프게 한 자식들은 돌로 쳐서 죽여도 된다는 그러한 가부장적 사고 속에서 생활을 하고 있었습니다.

It addresses that all the rebellious who have left the grace of God deserve to be stoned to death. Anyway, the Jewish people were living in a very paternalistic notion that those disobedient to their father and hurt their father’s heart deserved stoning to death.

그런 문화 사회적 배경 속에서 살고 있던 사람들에게 예수님이 둘째 아들의 이야기를 꺼내셨습니다.

To the people living in such a sociocultural background, Jesus brought up the story of the second son.

이 비유의 청자 중 한 무리인 유대인들은, 바리새인과 서기관들은, 아마 그 비유에 등장하는 둘째 아들의 이야기를 들으면서 분노를 이기지 못했을 거예요.

Among the listeners, a group of the Jewish, especially the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, probably couldn’t bear the rage while listening to the story of the second son.

그렇게 철저한 가부장적 사회 속에서 아버지가 아직 시퍼렇게 살아계신 데도 불구하고 감히 유산을 청구한 아들, 청구한 정도가 아니라 처분권까지 행사하기 위해 아버지 몰래 재산을 처분하여 이방 나라로 도망을 간 아들이예요.

In the absolute paternalistic society, the second son was the immoral one who dared to ask his inheritance although his father was still alive, even exerting the authority of disposition of his share behind his father’s back and fleeing to a foreign country.

당시에는 아버지가 살아계심에도 아버지의 유산의 처분권을 행사하려 했던 자들을 살인자와 방불한 죄인으로 취급을 했었습니다. 그건 곧 아버지가 빨리 죽었으면, 하는 마음에서밖에 나올 수 없는 그런 패역한 행위라는 것입니다.

At that time, those trying to exert the authority of disposition while their father was alive were equally considered to be sinners like murderers. Such a behavior was regarded as a very immoral deed since it could only be derived from the desire of the father’s early death.

그래서 살인자와 방불한 취급을 했어요. ‘저놈은 아버지가 빨리 죽기를 바라는 놈이구나.’ 그러한 자식은 아버지를 죽인 자식 취급을 받아도 무방한 그런 시대였습니다.

So, those who attempted to do it were treated like murderers. ‘That bastard is wishing for his father’s early death.’ It was the time when such a horrible son deserved to be treated as the murderer of his own father.

율법의 산술계산대로 하면 큰 아들이 아버지 재산의 3분의 2를 갖고 둘째가 아버지 재산의 3분의 1을 갖는 것이 마땅하지만 둘째가 미리 그 재산의 처분권을 행사하기를 원했기 때문에 9분의 2정도를 미리 받았을 것입니다. 그게 유대인들의 관습이었습니다.

According to the arithmetical calculation of the Jewish law, it was natural that the older son inherit two thirds of the father’s property, while the second son a third of it. But, since the second son wanted to exert the authority of disposition in advance, he probably would have received two ninths. That was the Jewish custom at that time.

그래도 그건 어마어마한 액수였을 것입니다. 나중에 그 아버지가 아들의 손에 가락지를 끼우고, 좋은 옷을 입히고, 동네잔치를 벌였으며, 많은 종들을 부리고 있었고, 아들 또한 우리 아버지 집에서는 종들도 양식이 풍족하다고 말을 한 것을 보면, 아버지가 대단한 부자였을 것입니다.

Nevertheless, that must have been a huge amount of money. Considering that the father later put a ring on his second son’s finger, dressed him a fine clothes, had a feast with his neighbors, had many servants, and the son recalled that ‘in my father’s house, even the servants had enough food to spare’, the father must have been a very rich man.

그런데 그가 그 재산을 허랑방탕 전부 써버리고, 유대인들이 가장 혐오하는 짐승인 돼지우리 속의 동거인이 되었습니다.

However, the second son, who had squandered his wealth in wild living, became the cohabitant with pigs in a pigpen, the animal the Jewish hate most.

심지어 그는 유대인들이 탈무드에 ‘돼지를 치는 자는 저주를 받을 지어다’라고 까지 기록을 해 놓았을 만큼 혐오했던 돼지치기가 되었습니다. 가장 낮은 자리에 떨어졌다는 뜻입니다. 완전 파산했다는 뜻입니다.

What was worse, the second son became a swineherd, who the Jewish hate so much that they even recorded a saying in Talmud ‘Cursed are the swineherds’. It means the second son must’ve fallen to the lowest status in the society, totally ruined.

그 말은 곧 그들이 개 취급도 안 했던 이방인들의 종이 되어, 그것도 돼지치기가 되어있는 완전히 파멸의 상태에 떨어져있다는 것을 그림으로 보여주는 것이예요. 왜냐면 유대인들은 절대 돼지를 키우지 않았어요. 그러니까 이방인들의 종이 되어 있는 거예요.

That is, the story of the son’s being a swineherd depicts the image that he fell into the state of a complete ruin by being a servant of the Gentiles who the Jewish treated worse than a beast because the Jewish never raised pigs. The story indicates the situation was desperate enough for him to become a servant of the Gentiles.

이 비유를 듣는 유대인들에게 있어서 그러한 내용은 둘째 아들을 개보다 못한 자로 여기게 만들었을 것입니다.

The story must have made the Jewish listening to this parable regard the second son as a louse.  

당시 유대 인근 나라에는 유대인들이 400만 명이나 디아스포라로 퍼져있었습니다. 그 당시에도. 그들은 아주 지독한 민족주의자들이었기 때문에 자기들이 거주하던 이방나라에서 자기 동족인 유대인들이 어려움을 당하게 되면, 너나할 것 없이 힘을 모아 자기 동족을 도와주곤 했었습니다.

At that time, in the neighboring countries of Judea, no less than 4 million of Jewish people were widespread; the Diaspora. Since they were thorough nationalists, when their fellow Jewish people were in trouble in the alien country they resided, they mucked in and helped them out without exception.

그런데 이 둘째 아들은 어찌된 것이 그런 도움도 못 받고 이방인의 돼지치기가 된 것입니다. 그 말은 이 둘째 아들이 유대인들이 목숨처럼 지키던 선민사상 안에서의 신앙생활도 제대로 하지 못했다는 증거이기도 합니다.

Then, for what reason, the second son became a swineherd without being helped by the fellow Jewish people. It also could be the evidence that the second son probably couldn’t keep the life of faith in the Elitism, which the Jewish regard as their own life.

그러니까 그 이야기를 듣던 사람들은 더욱 더 큰 분노에 사로잡히게 되었겠지요? 이 둘째 아들의 이야기를 들으면서.

Therefore, the listeners on the spot must’ve been seized with a rage, listening to the story of the second son. 

예수님은 지금 비유를 사용하여 다윗의 죄를 지적했던 나단의 심정으로 이 비유를 바리새인과 서기관들과 제자에게 말씀하고 계신거예요.

Jesus was saying the parable to the Pharisees, the teachers of the law and the Disciples with the feeling of Nathan the Prophet who had pointed out the sin of David.

저도 여러분에게 다윗에게 비유로 이야기를 했던 나단의 심정으로 여러분께 묻겠습니다. 여러분은 이 둘째 아들의 이야기를 들으면서 누가 제일 먼저 생각이 나십니까? 자기자신이 먼저 생각나야 합니다. ‘이게 바로 너다!’를 얘기해주는 겁니다.

I’ll also ask you a question with the heart of Nathan who spoke to David figuratively. Who comes to your mind first when you listen to the story of the second son? You should think of yourself first. ‘It’s you!’ is what Jesus is saying.

이 이야기를 듣는 청자들 너희들이 바로 이 둘째 아들이라는 얘기를 하시는 겁니다.

What Jesus says is that the listeners of the story are the very second son.

여러분들이 종들도 풍요 속에서 호강을 할 만큼 엄청난 풍요의 주인이시오, 사랑의 아버지시오, 은혜와 인내의 아버지이신 하나님의 은혜를 떠나서 자기 안에 내재된 제한된 자원으로 자신을 행복하게, 안전하게 만들어 보겠다고 하나님을 떠난 아담, 그 속에 들어있는 노아, 모세, 이스라엘, 나, 우리, 교회, 내가 떠올라야 되는 거예요.

You should recall Adam and Noah, Moses, Israel, yourself, us and the church in Adam who left God, the Master of a tremendous wealth to make the servant abundant, the Father of love, grace and patience, in an attempt to live happily and safely by using the limited resources in humans.

그 하나님의 패역한 아들, 예수 이외에 이 세상에 태어난 모든 아들들, 모든 인간들, 그들이 바로 이 상태라는 거예요. 그러니까 둘째 아들은 구원받기 이전의 우리 자신의 모습이며, 구원 얻은 이후에도 여전히 우리 안에 풍성히 남아있는 우리의 옛사람의 모습인 것입니다.

The rebellious sons of God, all sons born in this world except for Jesus Christ, all human beings; they are in this state of leaving God. In other words, the second son represents the image of us before being saved and the image of our old selves still remaining in us even after we have been saved.

따라서 그 돌에 맞아 죽어도 싼 그 둘째는 예전의 우리였을 뿐 아니라, 오늘의 우리의 모습이기도 한 것입니다.

Accordingly, the second son who deserved to be stoned to death is what we were and what we are simultaneously.

생각해 보세요. 우리는 구원을 얻었다고 하면서도 하늘에서 풍성하게 완전하게 주어질 하늘 아버지의 풍요를 진득하니 기다리는 법이 없지 않아요?

To be frank, though saying we’ve been saved, we never wait patiently for the abundance which will be given to us by the Father in Heaven, do we?

이 세상에서 그 하늘의 풍요를 미리 사용할 수 있는 처분권을 달라고 떼를 쓰고 있지 않습니까?

Aren’t we nagging to get the authority of disposition to use the abundance of Heaven in advance here on earth?

하나님이 분명 기업으로 유산으로 하늘의 풍요를 약속하셨는데, 근데 지금 이세상에서 미리 땡겨 쓰게 해달라고 하고 있잖아요. 둘째 아들과 뭐가 달라요. 똑같잖아요.

God obviously promised to give us the abundance of Heaven as our share and inheritance, but we’re pestering to use it now here on earth. What’s the difference between the second son and us? No difference!

그러니까 우리가 지금 하나님 아버지를 죽이고 있는 꼴입니다. 이 시대의 교회는요. 바로 이 시대의 교회가 하나님아버지를 살해하고 있는 것입니다. 당신 빨리 죽고 당신이 가지고 있는 힘이나 나한테 달라는 거 아닙니까?

That is, we, the churches today, aren’t different from killing our Father God now. The church in this era is murdering Him. Isn’t it the same we wish God the Father would die ASAP to hand us over His power?

우리가 하나님을 살해하고 있으면서 그 동안 우리가 얼마나 이 둘째 아들을 욕을 했습니까? 내 이야기인걸. 그 둘째가 아버지께 어떻게 돌아옵니까? 본문 17절을 보세요.

While murdering God, how many times have we criticized the second son, not knowing it’s our story? How did the second son come back to his father? Look at the verse 17.

(눅15:17-18)

17 이에 스스로 돌이켜 가로되 내 아버지에게는 양식이 풍족한 품꾼이 얼마나 많은고 나는 여기서 주려 죽는구나

18 내가 일어나 아버지께 가서 이르기를 아버지여 내가 하늘과 아버지께 죄를 얻었사오니

<Lk. 15:17-18>
17"When he came to his senses, he said, 'How many of my father's hired men have food to spare, and here I am starving to death!

18I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. 

여러분이 여기에서 주의하여 읽으셔야 하는 어구가 ‘스스로 돌이켜’라는 어구입니다. 이 개역 성경의 번역만 보면 마치 회개의 주도권이 둘째 아들에게 있는 것처럼 보이잖아요? 스스로 돌이켰으니까요?

The phrase you should read carefully here is the expression‍ ‘came to his senses’ or ‘came to himself’. It seems the leadership of repentance belonged to the second son, since he came to his senses, doesn’t it?

그래서 많은 개신교 신학자들이나 이슬람 교인들이 예수님의 십자가 없이도 얼마든지 구원에 이를 수 있다고 주장을 하고 있는 것입니다. 심지어 그들은 예수님의 십자가 구원은 바울에 의해 조작된 엉터리 복음이라고까지 이야기를 합니다.신학자들도요. 과연 그럴까요?

Based on it, many Protestant theologians or Muslims maintain they can reach the salvation fully without the Cross of Jesus Christ. They even argue the salvation of the Cross is a phony Gospel cooked up by the Apostle Paul. Even some theologians do that. Seriously, can it be true?

여기에서 ‘스스로 돌이켜’라고 번역이 된 ‘에이스 헤아우톤 데 엘돈’이라는 어구를 직역을 하면 ‘자기 자신에게로 왔다, 자기 자신을 되돌아보았다, 자기 자신을 거울로 비추어 보았다’, ‘자기 자신이 어떤 존재인지 비로소 알게 되었다’라는 뜻이예요.

The phrase ‘came to his senses’ is ‘eis heauton de elthon (ες αυτν δ λθν) in ancient Greek, whose literal translation is ‘come to himself, look back on himself or reflect himself in the mirror’, meaning ‘finally come to realize what he truly is’.

돼지우리에서 돼지들과 쥐엄열매 쟁탈던을 벌이고 있던 그 둘째아들이 어느 순간 자신의 모습을 거울로 비추어 보고, 자신이 돼지와 같은 삶을 살고 있다는 것을 알게 되었다는 그런 뜻입니다.

It means the second son living in the pigpen fighting for the pods of husks with pigs finally looked at himself in the mirror at some point and realized he was living like a pig.

여러분, 이 이야기에서 이 둘째 아들이 파산을 해서 돼지우리로 갔다라고 그렇게 너무 기계적으로만 생각하지 마세요.

Everybody, please don’t take the story too mechanically in the way that the second son went to the pig’s pen due to his total bankruptcy.

아버지의 은혜를 떠나서 자기 안의 내재된 자원을 갖고 행복하겠다고 떠난 이들은 전부 돼지새끼들이라는 것을 보여주는 거예요.

What the story shows is that everybody is the pig who leaves the grace of Father in an attempt to be happy on his own with the limited resources in him.

그가 자신이 갖고 있는 재산을 다 써 버려서 돼지우리로 들어가는 것이 아니라 바로 그 상태가 돼지우리라는 것을 우리에게 보여주는 거예요.

What the story shows us is not that he went into the pigpen because he spent all he got, but that his life itself was already the state of a pigpen.

그러니까 우리가 성도로서 나는 지금 돼지우리 속에서 돼지로서 살고 있구나를 모른다면 여러분은 아직도 회개하기 전에 둘째 아들의 모습으로 살고 있는 거예요. 그렇게 되기까지 누가 그에게 개입을 해야 합니까?

Therefore, as saints, if we don’t recognize we’re living in the pigpen as pigs, it means we’re still living in the image of the second son before his repentance. Until we realize it, who should intervene in us?

하나님 아버지의 아들이 자신의 죄 된 모습을 발견하게 되는 유일한 근거가 뭐지요?

What is the only ground that makes God’s sons find their sinful image?

누가 와서 죄에 대하여, 의에 대하여, 심판에 대하여 가르칩니까? 누가 와서? 성령이 오셔서. 성령이 오시면, 보혜사가 오시면 죄에 대하여, 의에 대하여, 심판에 대하여 가르친다고 그랬잖아요.

Who comes to teach us about sin, righteousness and judgment? Who’s coming? The Holy Spirit is coming. When the Spirit, the Advocate, comes, He will prove the world to be in the wrong about sin and righteousness and judgment, right?

그러니까 우리가 스스로 ‘나는 돼지구나, 이 세상은 돼지우리구나, 그리고 내가 추구하는 세상의 힘은 돼지들이 추구하는 쥐엄열매구나’ 하는 것을 깨달아 알게되는 것은 누구 때문이예요? 나를 찾아오신 성령, 하나님 아버지의 은혜로 내가 그걸 깨닫게 되는 거예요.

So, if we come to realize for ourselves ‘I’m a pig, the world is the pigpen and the worldly power I pursue is the pods of husks the pigs seek for’, who causes us to do it? By the Holy Spirit who has come to us and by the grace of God, we can come to realize it.

그러니까 그가 스스로 돌이켜 자기 자신이 돼지우리 속에서 돼지와 쥐엄열매를 다투는 그런 돼지 같은 삶을 살고 있다는 것을 깨닫게 된거는 아버지의 마음이 그에게 간 것입니다. 그래도 조금 억지같죠? 제 추론같지 않습니까? 절대 그렇지 않아요.

In other words, the reason the second son came to himself to realize that he was living like a pig fighting for the pods is because the heart of Father came to his mind. Still sounds like a groundless claim, huh? Doesn’t it sound like my own inference to you? Not at all.

사실 오늘 본문은 누가 복음 15장 전체의 결론 부분입니다. 누가 복음 15장은 하나의 주제로, 한 가지 이야기를 하고 있는, 누가복음의 핵심장입니다.

In fact, today’s text is the conclusion part of the whole chapter 15 of the Gospel of Luke. Luke, chapter 15 has one theme telling only one story, which is the core chapter of the Gospel of Luke.

성경주석가인 예레미야스가 누가복음 15장을 누가복음의 심장이라고 이야기할 만큼, 이 비유를 담고 있는 누가복음 15장은 복음의 핵심 내용을 풍성하게 우리에게 제시하고 있는 장입니다.

As an exegetist Jeremias said the chapter 15 is the heart of the Gospel of Luke, the chapter 15 of Luke containing this parable suggests the core contents of the Gospel abundantly to us.

그러니까 누가복음 15장을 알면, 올바로 이해하면 누가복음 전체를 다 올바로 이해할 수 있는 것입니다. 그러한 누가복음15장에 예수와 십자가가 빠져 있다면 말이 안 되지요? 이 누가복음 15장이 어떻게 시작하는지 볼까요?

So, if you understand Luke, chapter 15 correctly, you could understand the whole Gospel of Luke correctly. In such an important chapter, if the Cross and Jesus were left out, it wouldn’t make any sense, would it? Shall we look at how the Gospel of Luke, chapter 15 begins?

(눅15:1~3)

1 모든 세리와 죄인들이 말씀을 들으러 가까이 나아오니

바리새인과 서기관들이 원망하여 가로되 이 사람이 죄인을 영접하고 음식을 같이 먹는다 하더라

예수께서 저희에게 이 비유로 이르시되

<Lk. 15:1-3>
1Now the tax collectors and 'sinners' were all gathering around to hear him.

2But the Pharisees and the teachers of the law muttered, 'This man welcomes sinners and eats with them.'

3Then Jesus told them this parable:

지금 누가는 예수님의 사마리아 여행 내러티브의 거의 정 중앙에 이 비유를 배치하고 있습니다.

Luke disposed this parable almost in the center of the narrative for Jesus’ trip to Samaria.

그러니까 지금 1절에 등장하는 세리와 죄인들은 심지어 유대인들도 아닌, 유대인들의 가치관 속에서 개만도 못하게 여겨졌던 사마리아 사람들, 그것도 하층민들이었던 것입니다.

The tax collectors and the sinners appearing here weren’t the Jewish but Samaritans treated worse than a brute in the Jewish value, and even worse, those were the lower class among Samaritans.

그런데 예수님께서 그들을 반기시더니 그들과 함께 식사를 하시는 것입니다. 그때 예수님의 사마리아 여행에 동행을 했던 바리새인들과 서기관들이 예수님을 원망하는 장면입니다. 누가복음 15장은.

However, Jesus welcomed and dined with them together. Chapter 15 of the Gospel of Luke is the scene that the Pharisees and the teachers of the law accompanying Jesus’ trip to Samaria were blaming Jesus.

그런데 바리새인들과 서기관들의 원망의 내용이 담긴 2절에 쓰인 동사들이 전부 현재시제입니다. 그것은 그렇게 죄인들을 영접하고 그들과 식사를 하시는 예수님의 행동이 습관적이며 반복적이었다는 의미예요.

Then, all the verbs written in the second verse expressing the resentment of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law take the simple present tense. It means Jesus greeted the sinners and dined with them habitually and repetitively.

그러니까 여기에서의 서기관들과 바리새인들은 예수님의 사마리아 여행에 동행을 했을 만큼 예수님께 호감을 갖고 있었고, 예수님이 아니었다면 그들은 절대로 그 개들의 땅 사마리아에 안갔단 말입니다.

The Pharisees and the teachers of the law here in the verse actually had a good feeling about Jesus enough to accompany Him to Samaria, and without Jesus, they wouldn’t have gone to Samaria, the land of beasts.

근데 바리새인들과 서기관들이 예수님을 쫒아 사마리아에 여행길에 올랐다니까요. 예수님께 호감을 갖고 있었고 쫒았던 사람들이었습니다.

Such Pharisees and teachers of the law hit the road to Samaria following Jesus, since they had a good feeling toward Jesus.

그리고 배움에 갈급했던 종교적 열심이 아주 대단했던 훌륭한 사람들이었던 것입니다. 유대인의 관점에서 보았을 때.

Also, they were great people whose thirsts for learning and religious zeal were huge, seen from the Jewish viewpoint.

예수님께서 그들의 불평과 원망을 들으시고는 비유를 말씀하시는 데, 세 가지 비유를 연달아 붙여서 던지십니다. 저는 이 누가복음 15장의 비유를 네 가지 비유로 봅니다.

Listening to their complaints and resentments, Jesus threw them 3 parables in a row. I personally view the parables in Luke, chapter 15 as 4 parables, though.

왜 그런지는 조금 있다가 설명을 해 드릴 것입니다. 그런데 겉으로 드러난 비유의 이야기가 세 가지로 나누어져 있는 듯 보이므로 제가 일단 세 가지라고 말씀을 드리겠습니다.

I’ll explain my reason later. However, since the parables seem to be divided into three outwardly, I’ll call them 3 parables for now.

제가 지금 말씀드리고 싶은 것은 3절의 ‘비유’라는 단어의 ‘수’에 관한 것입니다. 여러분, 여기서 이 비유라는 단어가 단수일까요? 복수일까요? 세가지 이상인데…복수면 제가 안물어보겠죠? 단수예요.

What I want to say now is about the ‘number’ of the word ‘the parable’ in the verse 3. Everybody, what do you think? Is the word ‘parable’ here singular or plural here? More than 3 parables appear, right? If it were plural, I wouldn’t ask you, would I? It takes the singular form.

그러니까 지금 이 누가복음 15장의 세가지 비유는 하나의 비유라는 거예요. 따로따로 떨어져 있는 비유가 아니예요. 잃은 양의 비유, 드라크마의 비유, 탕자의 비유, 이렇게 나누어져 있는게 아니라 한가지 비유라는 거예요. 그래서 단수예요. ‘이 비유’라고 누가가 단수로 썼어요.

Then, it means the three parables in the Gospel of Luke, chapter 15, are actually one parable. It’s not divided into three parables respectively. Although the Parable of the lost sheep, the Parable of the lost coin and the Parable of the lost son seem to be separated, they’re actually one parable. That’s why Luke wrote it ‘this parable’ in the singular form.

잃은 양의 비유는 100마리의 양 중에서 한 마리를 잃어버린 목자가 나머지 아흔 아홉 마리를 버려두고 한 마리를 찾으러 갔다가 찾아와서는 잔치를 베푼다는 이야기입니다.

The Parable of the lost sheep is the story that a shepherd had lost one sheep of the 100, so he went out to look for his lost sheep, leaving the ninety nine. Finding the lost sheep, he threw a feast to celebrate.

그리고 두 번째 비유는 열 드라크마를 갖고 있는 아낙네가, 이 열드라크마는 유대인 신부가 신랑에게 혼수품으로 받는 거예요. 그래서 이렇게 꿰어서 목에 걸던지 아니면 아주 소중하게 이불 밑에다 보관하던지 하는 거예요. 그걸 잃어버리면 남편으로부터 이혼당할 수 있어요. 사랑을 잃어버릴 수 있어요. 그러니까 소중한 거예요.

The second parable is about a woman who lost a silver coin called ‘drachma’ of her 10 drachmas. The 10 drachmas were the wedding gift given to a bride by the groom in the Jewish society. The gift was so precious that a wife usually threaded the coins on a string like a bead to wear it around her neck or keep it under the duvet not to lose. When she lost it, it could be the reason for getting divorced. She could lose her love. That’s why it was so precious.

사실 이 드라크마는 큰 돈은 아닌데 하나가 빠져버리면 열 드라크마라는 혼수품 자체가 의미가 없어지니까 죽도록 찾는 거예요. 그렇게 하나를 잃어버린 아내가 한 드라크마를 잃어버리고는 등불을 켜고 집을 쓸며 그 한 드라크마를 찾고는 아주 기뻐한다는 내용입니다.

In fact, one drachma didn’t worth much, but if one was missing, the wedding gift of 10 drachmas became meaningless, so the woman in the parable desperately tried to find the lost one. The content of the story is that the woman who had lost one silver coin lit the lamp and swept the floor to search it and came to rejoice to find it.

첫 번째 비유에서는 양이 100마리입니다. 그 중 한 마리를 잃었다가 찾습니다.

In the first parable, there come 100 sheep. One of them was lost and found.

두 번째 비유에서는 드라크마가 열 개입니다. 그 중 하나를 잃었다가 찾습니다.

In the second parable, there come 10 silver coins. One of them was lost and found.

그런데 세 번째 비유에서는 두 아들 중 하나를 잃었다가 다시 찾습니다.

Then, in the third parable, one son of the two was lost and found.

이걸 점층적 기법이라고 하죠.

This is called the gradation technique.

예수님은 지금 점층적인 수사기법을 동원하여, 양 100마리 중 하나를 잃었다가 다시 찾아도, 신부에게 귀중한 혼수품인 열 드라크마 중 하나를 잃었다가 다시 찾아도 그렇게 기쁜데 두 아들 중 하나를 잃었다 다시 찾았을 때 그 아비의 기쁨이 얼마나 크겠는가를 점층적으로 설명하고 계신 것입니다.

Using the rhetorical expression‍ of gradation, Jesus gradually explains if a person would rejoice so much with finding one lost sheep of the one hundred or finding one lost coin of the ten which are the precious gift for a bride, then how much the father would rejoice when he found one lost son of the two.

짐승, 돈, 사람, 백, 열, 둘 이렇게 점층적이며 점강적인 개념과 숫자들을 동원하여 인간의 구원을 향한 하나님 아버지의 깊은 관심과 애정을 설명하고 계십니다.

Animals, money, people; one hundred, ten and two; utilizing the gradational notions and anticlimactic numbers, Jesus explains God’s profound interest and love toward human salvation.

그렇게 이 세 비유는 한 가지 이야기를 하고 있는 것입니다. 그런데 예수님은 뜬금없이 7절과 10절에서 그 비유의 이야기를 회개와 연결을 시키십니다.

As we see, the three parables are actually talking about one story. Then, out of the blue, Jesus is connecting the story of the parables to repentance in verse 7 and 10.

(눅15:7,10)

내가 너희에게 이르노니 이와 같이 죄인 하나가 회개하면 하늘에서는 회개할 것 없는 의인 아흔 아홉을 인하여 기뻐하는 것보다 더하리라

10 내가 너희에게 이르노니 이와 같이 죄인 하나가 회개하면 하나님의 사자들 앞에 기쁨이 되느니라

<Lk. 15:7,10>
I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.
10In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.'

잃어버렸던 양 한 마리 찾았어요. 잃어버렸던 한 드라크마 찾았어요. 주인이 찾은거죠.

The lost sheep was found. The missing silver coin was found as well. The owners found them.

드라크마가 ‘나좀 찾아주세요’, 양이 ‘주인님 나 여기 있어요’ 그럴 리가 없잖아요.

Neither the coin nor the sheep can ask ‘Master, I’m here. Please find me’, can it?

주인이 찾아 다녔고 아낙네가 찾아 다녔어요. 주인이 찾아서 데리고 왔는데 예수님이 그걸 회개라고 말씀하시잖아요.

The shepherd was looking for the sheep and the woman was searching for the coin. The masters found and brought them back, and Jesus calls it ‘repentance’, right?

그러니까 이게 지금 한 비유예요. 회개란 무엇이다?

That’s why they’re one parable. Repentance is what?

내가 죄 지은 거 몇 개 내놓고 ‘내 탓이오 내 탓이오 하나님 내가 이런 저런 잘못했어요’ 이런 게 회개예요? 그건 그냥 반성이예요.

If you confess some bad deeds, beating your breast saying “It’s my fault. It’s my fault. Oh, God, I did this and that wrong”, is it counted as repentance? Such a behavior is a mere reflection.

회개의 주도권은 우리에게 없습니다. 회개의 주도권은 찾는 이에게 있는 겁니다. 그걸 미리 말하고 싶은 거예요. 그래서 드라크마의 비유, 잃어버렸던 양의 비유에서 이 회개의 개념을 일단 명확히 해놓고 들어가시는 거예요.

The leadership of repentance doesn’t belong to us. It belongs to the finder. Jesus wants to make sure of it beforehand. That’s why the LORD first defines the notion of repentance clearly in the parables of the lost coin and the lost sheep before going further.

그리고 이어지는 것이 오늘 우리가 공부하는 비유인 것입니다.

After that, the parable we learn today is continued.

그리고 거기에 똑같이, 회개하는 어떤 자가 등장하고 있습니다.

And likewise, there appears a man repenting in the story.

그러니까 우리가 위의 두 비유에서 회개란 이런 것이다 미리 알았으니까 이 탕자의 회개 또한 아버지의 마음이 그에게서 가서 그를 찾고자하는 아버지의 마음이 그를 돌렸구나 하는 것을 우리에게 알게 하는 거예요. 그래서 한 비유예요.

That is, since we learned what the repentance is from the two previous parables in advance, the repentance of this prodigal son also lets us know that the father’s heart wanting to find his son caused the heart of his son to be changed. That’s the reason the three parables are one.

조금 전에 살펴보았던 ‘스스로 돌이켜’ ‘ ‘에이스 헤아우톤 데 엘돈’이라는 어구는 히브리어와 아람어에서 회개를 표현하는 방식으로 쓰였던 어구입니다.

The phrase ‘come to his sense’, ‘eis heauton de elthon (ες αυτν δ λθν)’, we have been looked into today, was the phrase used to express repentance in Hebrew and Aramaic.

그러니까 돼지우리 속에서 돼지 된 자신의 모습을 올바로 인식하고 자각하게 된 둘째 아들에게 어떤 일이 일어난 것입니까? 찾아짐의 사건이 일어난 것입니다.

Then, what happened to the second son who finally realized himself correctly as a pig in the pigpen? An event of being found occurred to him.

둘째 아들이 한 것이라고는 자기에게 주어진 제한된 아버지의 재산을 가지고 자기 자신의 행복과 쾌락을 위해서 돼지처럼 산 것밖에는 없습니다.

All he did was to take some of his father’s wealth given to him and live like a pig enjoying a spending spree for his own happiness and pleasure.

그런데 어느 날 아버지의 마음이 그에게 임하여 그 자신이 자신의 돼지 됨을 바라보게 하였던 것입니다.

Then, one day, his father’s heart broke into him, making him look at himself living like a pig.

그래서 성경은 문맥을 잘 고려하여 읽어야 하는 것입니다.

This is the reason we should read the Bible considering the context carefully.

이슬람 교인들이나 아니면 다른 여타의 자유주의 신학자들의 주장에 대해 제대로 반박이 되지요?

Now we can properly rebut the contention of Muslims and any other liberal theologians, can’t we?

그러니까 회개는 하나님의 은혜로, 하나님을 떠나 스스로의 행복과 만족을 추구하며 사는 삶이 돼지우리 속의 돼지 같은 삶이며, 자신들이 추구하는 모든 세상의 힘들은 다 돼지가 먹는 쥐엄열매라는 것을 올바로 자각하게 되는 것을 말하는 것입니다.

That is, the repentance is that, by the grace of God, we correctly realize that the life pursuing our own happiness and satisfaction without God is a pig’s life, and all the worldly power we seek after is the pods of husks a pig eats.

그저 사는 동안 지었던 몇 가지 죄를 내어놓고 눈물 콧물 짜는 게 회개가 아니란 말입니다.

Merely bringing up a few sins you’ve committed in life and squeezing out some tears is not repentance.

그런 면에서 여러분은 진짜 회개하신 분 맞아요?

In that sense, are you the ones who have truly repented?

여러분이 사는 이 세상이 돼지우리같이 여겨지십니까?

Do you consider this world you are in as the pigpen?

하나님이 없는 이 세상은 돼지우리에 불과해. 내가 추구하는 모든 것은 돼지가 먹는 쥐엄열매에 불과해. 이리로 돌아서셨어요? 그게 회개예요. 메타노이아.

‘The world without God is no more than a pigpen. Everything I pursue is nothing more than the pods a pig eats’. Has your mind been turned around this way? That’s the real repentance. “Metanoia (μετανόια)”.

예수님은 유대인들이 개 취급도 안했던 사마리아 땅에서 자신을 찾아 온 세리와 창기들과 죄인들을 둘째 아들 속에 넣어서 바리새인들과 서기관들에게 제시하고 있는 것입니다.

In the land of Samaria despised by the Jewish, Jesus was presenting the sinners such as tax collectors and prostitutes who came to visit Him by putting them into the second son to the Pharisees and the teachers of the law.

‘너희들이 지금 너희들의 율법 관과 너희들의 관습에 의해 그 둘째 아들의 행위에 그를 죽이고 싶을 만큼 분노하고 있다는 것을 내가 잘 안다. 맞다. 그들은 그렇게 돌에 맞아 죽어도 싼 자들이다. 그러나 아버지의 은혜와 사랑은 그러한 자들의 더러움까지도 모두 덮어씌울 만큼 위대한 것이다’를 가르쳐 주신 것입니다.

“With your law and custom, I clearly understand you’re angry enough to kill the second son for what he did. You’re right. Sinners like him deserve to be stoned to death. However, Father’s mercy and love is great enough to cover the dirtiest sinners”, Jesus taught it.

예수님은 단순히 ‘회개하면 하나님께서 다 용서해 주신다’는 교훈을 던지시는 것이 아니라, 하나님 아버지를 계시하러 오신 당신의 가장 중요한 임무를 훌륭하게 수행하고 계신 것입니다.

Instead of giving a mere lesson ‘God forgives everything if you repent’, Jesus was performing greatly His most important mission of revealing God the Father.

예수님은 당신 곁에 모인 사마리아의 세리들과 사마리아의 창기들, 사마리아의 죄인들, 그리고 유대의 바리새인들과 서기관들, 그리고 당신의 제자들에게 하나님 아버지가 어떤 분이신가를 계시하고 계신 것입니다.

To the tax collectors, to the prostitutes and the sinners of Samaria, to the Jewish Pharisees and the teachers of the law and to His disciples, Jesus was revealing what Father God is like.

그래서 제가 이 비유를 아버지의 비유라고 이야기 하고 있는 것입니다.

This is the reason I’d like to call it ‘the Parable of the Father’.

그러면 이 비유 속에서는 십자가가 어떻게 숨어 있는지 볼까요?

Then, shall we find out how the Cross is concealed in this parable?

아들이 외부에서 침투한 은혜의 결과로 자신의 돼지 된 모습을 자각을 하자 아버지 생각이 났습니다.

As the result of the mercy penetrating from outside, the son remembered his father by realizing himself in the state of a pig.

돼지우리 같은 세상에서 눈을 들어 아버지를 본거예요.

Raising up his eyes from the world like a pigpen, he finally saw his father.

이 세상이 돼지우리고, 자신이 돼지이며 자기가 추구하는 것이 돼지가 먹는 쥐엄열매라는 것을 자각하게 되자 아버지가 보이더라는 거예요.

That is, realizing the world was the pigpen, he himself was a pig and what he sought for was the pods of husks pigs eat, he finally could see his father.

그때 아버지 생각을 한거예요.

Just at that moment, he remembered his father.

욥이 자기가 마음을 두고있던 돈, 자식과 재산과 아내와 친구 다 떨어져 나가자 비로소 그때 내가 귀로만 듣던 하나님을 이제 눈으로 보게 되었다고 말한거 기억나시죠?

Do you remember, only after Job lost his money, children, wealth, wife and friends, he confessed ‘my ears had heard of you but now my eyes have seen you’?

야곱이 전부 잃어버리고, 아버지와 형 속이고 사기쳤다 전부 잃어버리고 완전히 개털되서 외삼촌 집으로 쫒겨갈 때 그때 하나님이 보였던거 기억하시죠?

Also, you remember Jacob could see God when he lost everything from deceiving his father and brother, being chased to his uncle’s house losing his shirt completely, don’t you?

지금 그 이야기 하는 겁니다. 우리는 이 세상에서 완전히 털려야 되는 것입니다. 성도는요. 비워지는 거예요. 그래야 아버지가 보이는 것입니다. 아버지가 보였어요.

Jesus is talking about it. We must be robbed of everything in this world. We saints must be emptied to see the Father. Only after being deprived of everything, Father could be seen.

그렇게 인간은 자신의 티끌 됨과 질그릇 됨을 올바로 자각하기 전에는 절대로 하나님 아버지께로 자신을 의탁할 수가 없는 것입니다.

Just like that, we humans can’t depend ourselves on God the Father totally before realizing our being dust and earthenware.

그래서 우리 성도들도 구원을 얻은 이후에도 계속해서 자신의 무력함과 불가능함을 폭로 당하게 되는 것입니다.

So, even after being saved, we saints keep being revealed our helplessness and impossibility.

여러분이 완전히 무력한 티끌, 돼지라는 것을 예수를 믿은 다음에도 계속 폭로 당하는 것입니다.

Even after believing in Jesus Christ, we’re being revealed as helpless dust and filthy pigs.

나는 괜찮은 사람이야, 점점 발전하고 있어…’이게 아니라 ‘나는 왜 갈수록 이 모양이야…’이렇게 되는 거예요, 나 자신에게는. 다른 사람에게는 어떻게 보일지 몰라도.

‘I’m a quite good person and I’m getting better…’ is not the way. Rather, ‘Why am I getting worse…?’ should be our way, at least to ourself, regardless of how others would think of us.  

둘째는 도저히 자신이 아버지의 아들로 복귀할 수 없다는 것을 인정하고 수긍합니다. 그게 바로 우리 성도들에게 동일하게 요구되는 고백인 것입니다.

The second son accepted and consented that he was unworthy of returning to his father as a son anymore. That’s the very confession required from us saints equally.

유대의 율법에 의하면 둘째는 동네에 들어서는 순간 돌에 맞아 죽을 것입니다. 본인도 그것을 누구보다 잘 압니다. 그런데 그는 그것을 인정하고 감수하기로 합니다.

According to the Jewish law, the second son would’ve been stoned to death at the moment of stepping in the village. And he also knew it better than anybody else. Nevertheless, he decided to accept and endure it.

그래도 나는 아버지한테 갈꺼야. 맞아 죽어도 갈꺼야.’

‘Nevertheless, I’ll go to my father. Though stoned to death, I’ll go to my dad.’

마치 우리 성도가 신앙생활을 통하여 자신의 돼지됨을 깨닫고, 아버지가 지금 당장이라도 날 지옥에 보내신다 할지라도 난 아무 할 말 없는 그런 죄인이라는, 자기부인의 고백을 해야 하는 것을 미리 그림으로 보여주고 있는 것입니다.

It’s like Jesus is pictorializing it to us beforehand that, through the life of faith, we saints should realize our true nature and make a confession of self-denial that we are filthy pigs and sinners who can’t complain anything even if God sends us to hell right now.

그리고는 아버지 집의 종이라도 되겠다는 심정으로 아버지를 찾아갑니다. 고라 자손의 시편에 이 내용이 잘 기록이 되어 있습니다. 시편 84편 10절.

Then, with the mind of being a servant of the house, the second son went to his father. In ‘A Psalm of the Sons of Korah’, the content is written clearly. Let’s read the Book of Psalms, chapter 84, verse 10.

(시84:10)

10 주의 궁정에서 한 날이 다른 곳에서 천 날보다 나은즉 악인의 장막에 거함보다 내 하나님 문지기로 있는 것이 좋사오니

<Ps.84:10>
10Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked.

이건 단지 오늘 비유에 나오는 둘째 아들과 고라 자손의 고백이 아니라 하나님의 은혜를 입은 모든 자들의 입에서 궁극적으로 나와야 하는 고백이어야 하는 것입니다.

This should be the ultimate confession that comes not only from the second son and the sons of Korah but from everyone indebted to God for His grace. 

나는 이 정도면 됐으니까 우리 아버지가 기뻐하는 아들이 된거야.’ 천만의 말씀. 그넘은 지옥 갑니다 반드시. 백 퍼센트 제가 개런티합니다.

‘Now that I’m good enough, I’ve become the son my Father pleases.’ Nonsense! That person goes to hell surely. I guarantee it 100 %.

절대로 성도는 그 자리로 갈 수가 없어요.

We saints can never go that way.

우리는 우리자신의 실체와 본전을 알면 알수록, 그리고 하나님의 크심과 위대하심을 알면 알수록 점점 우리 자신에 대해 자신이 없어져야 되요.

The more we realize our true nature and basis and the more we come to know the hugeness and greatness of God, the less confident we should become in ourselves.

그리고 하나님의 힘이, 능력이 은혜가 더욱 더 크게 오롯이 드러나야 되요.

And God’s power, ability and mercy should be maximized intactly.

그리고 종국에는 ‘하나님, 전 하나님 집의 문지기도 과분합니다. 아니, 저는 지금 당장 하나님께서 저를 지옥에 보내신다고 해도 아무 할 말 없는 그런 무익한 자입니다.’라는 고백을 할 수 있는 자로 낮아져야 하는 거예요.

In the end, we should become the humble ones who can confess ‘God, I’m undeserved even to be a doorkeeper of Your house. Or rather, I’m a useless person who can’t say anything though You send me to hell right now.’

그런데 너무들 자신 만만 한 것 같아요. 난 잘하고 있다는 거예요. 자기들이 지금 뭔가 하나님 앞에 떳떳한 일을 하고 있다고 생각들을 하기 때문이예요. 그들이 바로 바리새인들이요, 서기관들이었던 것입니다. 그러니까 ‘왜 저런 놈들과 밥을 드세요?’ 하고 그들을 정죄하고 있는 것입니다.

However, so many people seem to be full of confidence, thinking ‘I’m doing great’. They think they’re doing something honorable and valuable in front of God. They’re the Pharisees and the teachers of the law. That’s why they’re condemning Jesus ‘Why are You having dinner with such sinners?’

차치하고, 그렇게 아들이 자신의 실존을 처절하게 깨달은 뒤, 돌에 맞아 죽을 각오를 하고 아버지께 돌아갑니다.

Setting aside their condemnation, after realizing his own true nature thoroughly, the son determined to go back to his father at the risk of being stoned to death.

그런데 아버지가 문밖에서 그 아들을 기다리고 계시다가 상거가 아직 먼데, 굉장히 거리가 먼데도 뛰어나가 그 아들을 맞이합니다.

Meanwhile, the father, waiting for him outside the gate, saw his son and rushed forward to greet him though he was still a long way off.

당시 유대 사회에서는 우리 조상들과 마찬가지로 어른이 경박스럽게 뛰는 것은 아주 천박한 일로 간주가 되었습니다. 그런데 아버지가 아들을 확인하자마자 냅다 뛰신 거예요. 왜 그랬을까요? 단지 반가워서가 아닙니다.

Just like our ancestors, in the ancient Jewish society, frivolously running of an adult was regarded as a disrespectable thing. However, on indentifying his son, the father ran at full speed toward him. Why did he do that? It’s not simply because he was happy to see him.

제가 그보다 먼저 그 둘째가 아버지가 사는 동네로 돌아갔다는 예수님의 말씀을 들은 바리새인들과 서기관들이 어떤 장면을 기대하고 있었을까를 여러분에게 먼저 묻고 싶어요.

Before going further, I’d like to ask you first what scene the Pharisees and the teachers of the law would expect when Jesus told them the story of the second son’s returning home.

이 둘째가 난 아버지 집의 종이 되도 좋으니 갈래 하고 동네에 딱 들어서자 마자 어떤 일이 일어났을거 같으세요?

With the decision to return to father’s house bearing to be a servant, what do you think would happen to the son on his taking a step into the town?

동네사람이 하나 둘 모여들어서 그를 돌로 쳐야 맞습니다. 유대인들이 지금 그걸 기대하고 있었단 말이예요.

According to the custom, it is right that the villagers should gather one by one to stone him. The Jewish were expecting it.

근데 아버지가 뛰어나가서 그를 안아버렸어요. 유대인들은 굉장히 열 받았을 거예요. 여기에서.

Then, the father dashed to his son and threw his arms around him. The Jewish must have been pissed off very much listening to it.

왜 그런 놈을 감싸주냐는 말입니다. 그 둘째가 저지른 일은 당시 사람들에게 있어서는 열 번 맞아 죽어도 싼 그런 죄였으니까요.

They must have thought ‘Why does the father cover up for such a bugger?’, since what the second son had done was an unforgivable sin that deserved beating to death ten times.

당시 유대인들의 결혼 적령기가 열여덟에서 스물이었습니다. 그리고 빠르면 열 넷에서 열다섯. 그러니까 이 놈은 아무리 나이가 많아도 열일곱 살이 안 되었던 아이입니다.

The marriageable age for the Jewish at that time was between 18 and 20. If early, 14 or 15. It means the second son was probably less than 17.

그런 어린 녀석이 아버지의 목숨과 같은 재산을 다 가지고 나가서 창기와 함께 다 써버렸어요.

Such a little chap took out all his fortune which was like his father’s life and squandered it with prostitutes together.

동네사람들이 그걸 다 알았어요. 그건 아버지 허락 없어도 그냥 때려 죽이면 되는 거예요.

The townspeople knew it all, so was rightful for them to stone the son to death without the father’s permission.

근데 아버지가 뛰어가서 그 아들을 품어 안아버렸어요. 아들이 다른 이들에게 맞아 죽기 전에 아버지가 나가서 지키신 것입니다.

Then, the father ran to the son and held him in his bosom. Before his son beaten to death by the neighbors, the father dashed to protect him.

엄밀히 말해서 아버지는 아들을 기다리다가 발견하신 것이 아니라 아들이 나간 그 순간부터 아들의 삶에서 한 번도 눈을 떼지 않았던 것입니다.

Strictly speaking, the father didn’t happen to find the son while waiting for him outside, but he never ever turned away from the son’s life, not even a second from the moment he left home.

그게 바로 우리 하나님입니다. 침 삼킬 동안도 우리를 놓치지 않으시고 매 순간 우리와 동행을 하시며, 하나님을 떠나서 자기 마음대로 살고 있는 우리의 자기중심의 삶이 어떻게 돼지와 같은 삶에 불과한 것인가를 깨닫게 해 주시느라 아버지는 아들의 패역함을 허락하신 거예요.

That father is our God. While keeping an eye on us and accompanying us every second, God allows us to be rebellious so that we could realize that the egocentric life as we pleases without God is just no better than the life of a pig.

그래, 나가라.’ 그 아들이 아버지를 떠나서 패역하는 것을 아버지가 원치 않았다면 애초부터 아예 돈을 주지 않았을 것입니다.

‘Go ahead, off you go.’ If the father hadn’t wanted his son rebellious, he wouldn’t have given him the money from the first place.

그리고 그렇게 문밖에서 매일 기다릴꺼면 가서 찾아오지? 왜 찾아오지는 않고 문 밖에서만 기다리는 거예요?

And, wouldn’t it more sensible to come and get him rather than to wait outside every day? Instead of coming to get him, why was the father just waiting outside?

아버지가 보낸 거예요, 뭘 배우고 오라고. 아버지 은혜를 떠난 자들은 어떻게 살게되는지, 그 종국이 어떻게 되는지 배우고 오라고 아버지가 보낸 거예요.

It was the father who sent his son away to learn something. To make his son learn how the people without God’s grace would live and how their life would end up, the father let his son leave.

하나님의 완성된 교회를 이 땅에, 이 이방나라에, 나그네로 왜 보내셨는지 아세요? 이 돼지우리 같은 지옥에?

Do you know why God sent His completed churches to this alien country as travelers, to this hell like a pigpen?

아버지 은혜를 떠나서 저 스스로 하나님처럼 살겠다는 인간들이 내놓는 결과물이 어떤 것인지 보고 배우라고.

To let us see and learn what result humans produce who left God’s mercy to enjoy playing God, God sent us here.

나중에 여러분이 하나님 나라에 갈 때 그 아버지가 맨발로 뛰어 나올거란 말입니다. 여러분의 인생은 바로 그게 목적인 거예요.

Later, when you go to the Kingdom, that Father will run to you with His bare feet to greet you. That is the purpose of your life.

근데 여기서 아버지 유산 다 뺏어가지고 왔으면서 아직 남아있는 거 더 달라고 발광들을 하고 앉아 있는 겁니다. 그거 더 달라고.

Then, though you’ve already taken away all the inheritance from the Father, you’re still running mad to get some leftover, some more of it.

당신은 죽든 말든 난 아무 상관이 없으니까 천국에 가서 당신 없어도 돼.’

‘Whether You’re alive or not, I don’t care, and I don’t need You in Heaven.’

그렇지 않아요? 천국가면 하나님 꼭 있어야 돼요? 하나님을 모르잖아요.

Don’t you think in that way? Do you really need God in Heaven? You don’t know God, do you?

그 하나님이 뭘 그렇게 여러분에게 사랑과 은혜를 부으셨습니까? 모르시죠? 배워본 적이 없는 거예요. 이 시대의 교회에는.

What kind of love and mercy did God pour down onto you? You don’t know it, do you? The churches in this era have never learned about God and His love and mercy.

그러니까 천국에는 하나님이 없어도 돼요. 내가 원하는 것만 있으면 되는 거예요. 하나님이 바로 그걸 우리에게 가르치기 위해서 이 이방나라에 돼지로 우리를 보내신 것입니다. 그래서 우리는 이렇게 돼지 같은 삶을 살고 있는 것입니다.

That’s why you don’t think you need God in Heaven as long as you have what you want there. To teach us that exactly, God has sent us in this alien country as a pig. That’s why we are living the life of a pig.

마찬가지로 하나님은 우리에게 아버지의 은혜를 떠난 무리가 결국 어떤 지경으로 파산을 하게 되는 것인지, 이 지옥 같은 현실을 경험하며, 자각하고 아버지께로 눈을 돌려 하나님 아버지의 은혜만을 꼭 붙드는 자로 만들어 내시기 위해 우리를 이 이방 세상에 놔두시는 것입니다.

Likewise, to make us learn how badly the group of people who left God’s mercy ruins, experience and realize the reality like hell, turn our eyes to Father and hold the grace of God tightly, God lets us stay in this alien world.

여러분이 다 겪고 가셔야해요. 저절로 알아지지 않아요. 다 겪어야되요. 그래야 하나님의 은혜를 떠난 자들의 삶은 다 돼지라는 것을 내가 경험으로 알게 되는 거예요.

You must go through it to the very last. It’s not acquired automatically. You have to do it so that you come to know the life without the mercy of God is that of a pig.

그래서 조나단 에드워드가 성화는 100% 너희들이 하는 것이라고 한 것입니다. 그 말은 우리가 100% 노력해서 성화의 절정에 이르러야 한다는 말이 아니예요. 우리가 다 겪어내야 한다는 거예요, 우리 인생으로. 그게 100% 우리가 한다는 뜻이예요.

That’s the reason Pastor Jonathan Edwards told the sanctification is achieved 100% by our efforts. It doesn’t mean we must make 100% of efforts to reach the peak of sanctification. Rather, it means we have to go through all the process in our life. That’s the meaning of achieving sanctification 100% by our efforts.

여러분이 노력해서 도덕적 윤리적 열매를 내놓으라는 의미가 아닙니다. 니가 다 겪고 가야 한다는 뜻이예요. It doesn’t mean you have to make efforts to produce some ethical and moral fruit. Rather, it means you have to experience everything before going back to Heaven.

하나님이 그것을 의도해놓으셨으니 이루어 질꺼야. 그러나 니가 다 겪어야 해 삶으로, 니가 돼지우리로 반드시 들어가 봐야돼, 쥐엄열매 먹어봐야돼.’

‘Since God has intended, it will be achieved. But, you have to undergo it in your life. You must go into the pigpen. You must taste the pods of husks.’

백프로에요 그것이. 야고보가 말하는 행함, 행함이 없는 믿음, 그 행함이 바로 이것입니다.

This is the meaning of 100%. The deeds the Apostle James said, ‘the faith but has no deeds’, exactly indicate the deeds of undergoing everything in your life.

여러분 삶 속에서 하나님 행하는 그 행함이 여러분의 삶 속에서는 자기 부인으로 터져 나오는 거에요. 그게 행함이라는 말입니다.

The deeds God performs in your life come out as the form of ‘self-denial’ through your life. That is the deeds James told.

그게 없는 믿음이 죽음이라는 것이지 착한 일 안 하는 놈은 다 가짜라는 말이 아니예요. 이 비유의 마지막 절을 보면 하나님의 구원이 어떤 것인가가 아주 선명하게 기록이 되어 있습니다. 누가복음 15장 32절 보세요.

It means faith without such deeds is the dead faith, not meaning the ones who don’t do good deeds are phonies. In the last verse of the parable, what the salvation of God is like is clearly recorded. Look at the Gospel of Luke, chapter 15, verse 32.

(눅15:32)

32 이 네 동생은 죽었다가 살았으며 내가 잃었다가 얻었기로 우리가 즐거워하고 기뻐하는 것이 마땅하다 하니라

<Lk.15:32>
32 But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' "

그 앞에도 한 번 똑같이 나오죠? 이 구절이. 아버지는 집을 나갔다가 돌아온 둘째 아들이 죽었다가 살아난 자라고 말씀을 하십니다.

In the previous verse, the same word comes exactly, right? The father says the second son who left home was dead and is alive again.

말씀드렸다시피 아버지의 뜻을 헤아리지 못하고 자기 마음대로 아버지를 떠나 자신의 쾌락과 행복만을 위해 살았던 둘째는 율법에 의해 죽어 마땅한 자입니다. 맞아 죽어야 해요 율법에 의해서, 하나님이 죽이라고 그랬으니까.

As mentioned, the second son, who left home to live for his own pleasure and happiness without caring about his father’s will, deserved death by the law. He should have been beaten to death by the law since it was God’s command.

그런데 아버지가 일방적으로 얘는 죽었다가 다시 산자라고 선언을 해 버리시는 것입니다.

Then, the father proclaims he was dead and is alive again unilaterally.

얘, 죽이지마, 죽었다가 살았어. 다시 죽이지 마. 일사부재리의 원칙. 한번 죽었어. 다시 죽이지 마.’ 아버지가 이야기하는 것입니다. 그게 복음입니다.

‘Do not kill him. He barely came back from the dead. Don’t kill him again. Remember the principle of prohibition against double jeopardy! He was dead once, so don’t get him killed’, says the father. That’s the Good News, the Gospel.

그놈이 언제 죽었다 살아났어요? 그냥 아버지가 그렇게 인정해주시는 것입니다.

Was the guy actually dead and alive again? No, but the father just recognized him to have been so.

우리는 모두 둘째 아들처럼 죽어 마땅한 자들입니다.

All of us deserve death just like the second son.

그런데 아버지가 ‘너희는 이미 벌을 받아 죽었다’고 선언을 해 버리신다는 말입니다. 그리고 아버지가 다시 살려 내셨다는 것입니다. 어떻게? 아버지가 지신 십자가 안에서.

Then, our Father proclaims ‘You were dead already for the punishment’. And then, He rescues us again from death. How? In the Cross He bore.

아버지가 온 동네 사람들에게 수모를 당함으로 말미암아 아들을 살려내는 거예요. 열심히 뛰어가서 아들을 덥썩 안아요.아버지가 수모를 대신 당하시죠?

By swallowing an insult from the whole neighbors, the father rescued his son. He ran hard to his son and embraced him tightly. The father was bearing the insult instead of the son, wasn’t he?

뛰어간 아버지가 율법에 의해 죽어야 할 아들에게 화려한 옷과 신발과 반지를 끼워 버리세요. 용서받지 못한 아들을 아버지가 먼저 용서해 버립니다.

The father ran to his son destined to death by the law and covered him with the best robes, even putting a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. The father forgave the unforgivable son first.

그러나 그것은 율법에 위배되는 행위죠? 그러면 아버지도 벌 받아야 되요. 율법을 어겼잖아요, 아버지가 지금, 용서받지 못한 자를 자기 마음대로 용서했어요, 돌로 한대도 안 때리고.

However, that action is against the law, isn’t it? The father should’ve been punished since he broke the law as well. He forgave the unforgivable son as he pleased, even without a single hit with stones.

그럼 아버지가 지금 율법을 어긴거예요. 눈에는 눈, 이에는 이가 율법이잖아요. 모세의 율법. 아버지가 그것을 어겼단 말입니다. 아버지가 스스로 율법을 파기해 버리시는 것입니다 아들을 위해.

That means the father also violated the law; the law of an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth; the Law of Moses. He broke it. The father himself was breaking the law for his son.

그리고 그 자신이 동네 사람들의 웃음거리가 되시는 것입니다. 그게 바로 하나님의 십자가입니다.

And he himself became the laughingstock of the town. That’s the Cross of God.

아버지 스스로가 율법을 허무시고 아들을 율법으로부터 자유롭게 만들어 버리는 것입니다.

The Father has broken the Law Himself to make His son free from the Law.

하나님의 공의는, 율법은, 우리 죄인을 전부 죽여야 해요. 그게 하나님의 공의예요, 율법이예요. 그런데 아들을 위해, 하나님이 율법을 어기는 거예요. 아들은 안죽여요. 그리고 율법을 어긴, 자기가 구원해 낼, 하나님 나라의 백성들을 위해 자기는 율법을 어겨버린 그 형벌을 자기가 받아요. 사형언도를 받고 죽습니다. 그게 복음이며 그걸 구원이라고 하는 겁니다.여기에 십자가가 없다는 말입니까?

The righteousness of God and His law should kill us sinners all. That’s the righteousness and the law of God. Then, for His son, God broke His law. God didn’t let His son killed. Rather, He bore the punishment due to breaking the Law Himself to rescue the people of Heaven who had been breaking the Law and who He would save. God was sentenced to death and died for His people. That is the Gospel and that is the salvation. How dare we say there is no Cross in this story?

그래서 예수님도 우리에게 기도를 가르쳐 주시면서 ‘우리가 우리에게 죄 지은 자를 사하여 준 것같이 우리의 죄를 사하여 주옵시고’라고 기도하라고 하신 것입니다. 주기도문 강해 때 자세히 공부했지요?

That’s why Jesus taught us to pray ‘Forgive us our debts as we also have forgiven our debtors’. We studied about it in the expository sermon for the Lord’s Prayer, didn’t we?

이건 ‘우리가 우리에게 죄지은 자를 사하여 준 것 같이’가 먼저가 아니라고 했어요. 동시에 일어나는 거라고 했지요?

As I explained, ‘as we also have forgiven our debtors’ isn’t the precondition. We learned that forgiving and being forgiven occur simultaneously, right?

우리가 우리에게 죄지은 자를 사하여 주는 것이 율법을 어기는 것입니다. 간음한 자, 살인한 자는 돌로 쳐서 죽여야 하고 이에는 이, 눈에는 눈으로 갚아주어야 하는 것이 율법 지키는 겁니다.

Forgiving the ones who sinned against us was breaking the law. Fornicators and murderers had to be stoned to death, and repaying with an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth was observing the law.

남에게 해를 입힌 자, 율법이 정한 형벌을 줘야 해요. 그게 율법 지키는 거예요.

The one causing harm to others had to be punished set by the law. That was keeping the law.

그런데 우리가 우리에게 죄지은 자를 사해주는 거 그게 뭐에요? 그게 율법을 어기는 겁니다.

In that sense, forgiving the ones who have sinned against us is what? That’s breaking the law.

근데 그 시대가 왔단 말입니다. 우리가 우리에게 죄 지은 자를 율법에 형벌에 형벌을 안 줘도 되는 그런 시대가 왔어요.어떻게?

Then, the time has come when we don’t need to punish the sinners against us by the law. How?

예수의 십자가로 말미암아 율법을 파괴해버렸어요.

Through the Cross of Jesus Christ, God broke the Law.

그래서 아버지가 율법을 파괴해버리고 아들을 살려내는 거예요. 그런데 아무도 시비를 못 걸어. 아버지가 벌을 받아버렸어. 자기가 죽었거든요.

In that way, the Father destroyed the Law and saved His son. But nobody could provoke Him into a quarrel since the Father got the punishment instead, dedicating His own life to save His son.

여러분, 이게 감격스럽지 않습니까? 이 복음이 눈물 나도록 감격스럽지 않으세요?

Everybody, isn’t it so touching to you? Isn’t this Gospel moving enough to soften into tears?

예수님이 우리의 죄가 되셔서 스스로 심판과 정죄를 받아버리셨어요. 그래서 우리는 돌에 맞아 죽어야 마땅한 죄가 이렇게 버젓이 우리 안에 여전히 있는 데도 용서를 받아 버린 것입니다.

Becoming our sin, Jesus Himself was judged and punished instead of us. That’s how we have been forgiven, though the sin that deserves to be stoned to death is still inside us.

그렇게 우리가 우리에게 죄 지은 자를 용서해 줄 수 있는, 십자가로 말미암아 율법의 채무가 도말된, 하나님의 은혜의 현실 속에서 우리에게 떨어진 것이 바로 구원이라는 것입니다.

In that way, we’re in the reality of God’s mercy where we can forgive the sinners against us and our sinful debts of the law have been painted out, and this is exactly God’s redemption.

이렇게 오늘 우리가 공부하고 있는 이 비유는 예수 그리스도의 십자가와 하나님 아버지의 은혜를 그 내용으로 하고 있는 것이지 우리 성도들의 자발적이고 기특한 회개의 이야기를 하고 있는 것이 아닙니다. 그러면 구원의 주도권이 인간에게 있잖아요. 그게 어떻게 가능합니까?

The parable we’re studying today discusses the Cross of Jesus Christ and the grace of God, not the story about the voluntary and commendable repentance we saint do. If it were, the leadership for salvation belonged to humans. How can it be possible?

그런데 이 비유는 거기서 끝나지 않습니다. 이 비유의 대미는 큰 아들이 장식을 하고 있습니다.

Anyway, the parable doesn’t end there. The grand finale of this parable is the older son.

100마리 양중의 하나, 열 드라크마 중의 하나, 두 아들 중의 하나, 이제 하나 중의 하나로 이어지는 것입니다. 그 누구도 그렇게 설명한 적이 없는데 제 눈에는 그렇게 들어왔어요.

One sheep of the one hundred, one coin of the ten, one son of the two, and now it’s connected to one of the one. Nobody has explained it that way but it caught my eyes just like that.

이 큰 아들에 대해서 우리가 곡해하고 있는 것이 큰 아들은 아버지로부터 버림을 받은 나쁜 아들이라고 성급히 결론을 내리는 것입니다. 아닙니다.

What we misunderstand about the older son is we hastily jump to the conclusion that he was a bad son abandoned by his father. Not true.

큰 아들 역시 우리 하나님 백성들의 패역한 현실을 보도하는 또 다른 모형인 것입니다, 둘째 아들이 그런 용도로 사용된 것처럼.

The older son is another model reporting the rebellious nature we God’s people have, just like the second son was used for the purpose.

큰 아들이 일차적으로 가리키고 있는 이들은 물론 이 비유의 서두에 등장하는 바리새인들과 서기관들입니다.

Without a doubt, the older son primarily represents the Pharisees and the teachers of the law appearing in the beginning of today’s text.

그래서 제가 이 비유 또한 알레고리의 범주를 완전히 벗어날 수 없다고 말씀을 드린 것입니다. 이 비유 안에도 적당한 은유가 들어 있습니다.

That’s the reason I told you this parable can’t totally go beyond the allegorical category. This parable contains some moderate metaphors as well.

그런데 이 큰 아들은 둘째 아들과는 사뭇 달라 보이죠? 둘째가 자기 몫을 다 가지고 나가서 허랑방탕하게 사는 동안 첫째는 아버지의 밭에 나가 열심히 일을 합니다. 그리고 아버지의 말씀에 순종했대요. 자기 말로는.

Anyway, this older son seems quite different from the little one, right? While the second son was squandering away his entire share, the first son worked hard in his father’s field. And he said he was obedient to his father from his stance.

아버지를 모시고, 아버지를 지키며 살고 있는 듯 보입니다. 그런데 일을 하고 돌아오는 길에 보니 자기 집에서 잔치가 벌어지고 있었습니다.

Living with his father, the older son seemed to take good care of his father. Then, one day, on the way back from the field, he noticed there was a feast in his house.

그는 슬며시 집안의 종을 불러 무슨 일인지를 물었습니다. 그런데 아버지의 유산을 챙겨서 이방나라에 가서 창기들과 함께 허랑방탕하게 살다가 돌아온 자기 동생을 환영하는 잔치가 벌어지고 있는 것이라는 이야기를 전해 듣습니다.

He secretly called one of the servants and asked what was going on. He was told it was a welcome-home party for his brother who had squandered away all his legacy with prostitutes in an alien country.

큰 아들이 화가 났습니다. 어떻게 자기처럼 성실한 사람에게도 한 번도 베풀어주지 않은 잔치를 그 돌에 맞아 죽어도 싼 자에게 먼저 베풀어 주냐는 것입니다. 큰 아들이 아버지께 노합니다. 28절 볼까요?

The older son was mad. He thought it was unfair since the father had never held a party for him who had been sincere all the time, but was throwing a party for his little son who deserved to be stoned to death. The older son raged against his father. Shall we look at the verse 28?

(눅15:28-30)

28 저가 노하여 들어가기를 즐겨 아니하거늘 아버지가 나와서 권한대

29 아버지께 대답하여 가로되 내가 여러 해 아버지를 섬겨 명을 어김이 없거늘 내게는 염소 새끼라도 주어 나와 내 벗으로 즐기게 하신 일이 없더니

30 아버지의 살림을 창기와 함께 먹어버린 이 아들이 돌아오매 이를 위하여 살진 송아지를 잡으셨나이다

<Lk. 15:28-30>

28'The older brother became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him.

29 But he answered his father, 'Look! All these years I've been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends.

30But when this son of yours who has squandered your property with prostitutes comes home, you kill the fattened calf for him!'

큰 아들이 노해서 집에 들어오지 않자, 아버지가 작은 아들을 맞이하실 때와 똑같이 또 문밖으로 나오세요. 너무 불쌍하지 않아요? 그게 우리 하나님의 사랑입니다. 아버지가 또 문 밖으로 나와요.

When the angry older son refused to go in the house, with the same manner of welcoming the second son, the father came out of the house again to greet his older son. Doesn’t the father seem so pathetic? That’s the love of our God. The father came out of the house again.

그리고는 그 아들에게 잔치자리로 들어오라고 권하십니다.

Then, he begged his angry older son to join the feast.

28절에 ‘권하다’라고 번역이 된 ‘파라칼레오’라는 단어는 어디서 많이 들어본거 같죠? 파라클레토스. 파라칼레오는 보혜사 성령을 가리키는 ‘파라클레토스’와 뿌리가 같은 단어입니다. ‘초청하다, 위로하다’라는 뜻입니다.

The word ‘parakaleo (παρακαλέω)’ translated into ‘plead or beg’ in verse 28 probably sounds familiar to you, doesn’t it? ‘Parakletos (παράκλητος)’. ‘Parakaleo’ has the same root to the word ‘parakletos’ indicating the Holy Spirit, the Advocator. ‘Parakaleo’ means ‘invite, console’.

예수님께서 갑자기 여기에 ‘파라칼레오’라는 단어를 쓰심으로 아버지가 큰 아들을 잔치자리로 초청하는 장면을 성령의 초청과 위로와 연결을 시키시는 것입니다.

By using the word ‘parakaleo’ suddenly here, Jesus connects the scene of the father’s invitation for his older son to the feast to the invitation and comfort of the Holy Spirit.

그래서 제가 결론도 나지 않은 이 비유의 이야기를 우리가 섣불리 추론하여 ‘큰아들은 그냥 그렇게 버려졌을꺼야’라고 추측하지 말자라는 거예요.

That’s the reason I asked you not to guess the unconcluded story of this parable rashly, inferring ‘the older son must have been abandoned just like that’.

이 누가복음 15장의 비유의 전체 내용은 잃었던 게 돌아오는 거란 말입니다. 큰아들만 잃어버리는 게 아니란 말이예요.돌아오는거, 아버지가 어떤 분인지를 알려주는 거란 말이예요. 그러니까 돌아온거여야 맞아요.

The whole story in chapter 15 of Luke is about the returning of the lost ones. It’s not about only losing the older son. It’s about coming back and revealing what the father is like. So, it has to be about coming back of the lost ones.

이 비유가 결론을 우리에게 넘겨주고 있는데 우리는 이 전체 문맥을 통하여 아, 아버지는 이런 분이니까 이러한 자를 또한 아버지가 반드시 완성해 내시겠구나.

This parable hands over the conclusion to us so that we could notice from the entire context; ‘Ah, since our Father is like this, He’ll surely complete such a guy as His son as well.’

왜? 내 안에 큰아들이 있거든요. 이 큰아들이 버려졌으면 나는 죽어야 되요. 우리 다 죽어야 되요. 내 안에 큰 아들이 있으니까. 그래서 제가 이 누가복음 15장의 비유를 네 개로 나눠버린 것입니다.

Why? It’s because the nature of the older son is inside us as well. If the older son had been abandoned in the story, I, you and all of us have to die, because the same nature of the older son is in us. That’s the reason I divided the parables of chapter 15 in Luke into four parts.

큰아들이 가장 중심 되는 주요인물 이예요, 여기에서. 제일 악한 인간이거든요 이것이. 위장된 성실을 내어놓는 자기 의에 빠진, 경건병 이라는 것에 빠진 가짜. 그게 우리 안에 있다는 말이예요. 

The older son is the main character since he’s the most evil one. The fake presenting the disguised sincerity and indulged in the self-righteousness called ‘Eusebeiagenic’. That’s what is in us.

여러분, 인간이 하나님의 은혜를 떠나 자신에게 내재된 제한된 자원으로, 이 세상의 힘을 쌓아서 스스로가 만들어 놓은 세상 적 유토피아에 도달하려 할 때 나타나게 되는 현상이 어떠한 모양으로 나타나게 되는지 아세요?

Everybody, when humans leave the grace of God and try to reach the earthly Utopia by using the limited resources in them, do you know what phenomena arise?

그 첫 번째가 둘째 아들처럼 완전한 파산의 상태로 떨어지는 것입니다.

The first is to fall into the complete ruin just like the second son.

이 세상 그 누구도 하나님 없이 이 세상 것들로 참 만족과 참 행복을 누리며 살 수 없습니다. 인간들은 늘 부족함에 시달리고, 늘 공허와 심심함에 안절부절 합니다. 그게 돼지우리 속의 탕자입니다.

Nobody in this world can live enjoying the real satisfaction and happiness only through the earthly things without God. Humans are always suffering from lack and getting antsy with emptiness and boredom. That’s the true nature of the prodigal son in the pigpen.

모든 인간이 다 심심해 해요. ‘아닌데요, 저는 심심한 겨를이 없는데요. 일하느라고…’ 여러분, 왜 일하는 줄 아세요? 심심해서 하는 거예요.

All humans feel bored. You might say, ‘No, I don’t. I have no time to get bored, busy doing my work…’ Everyone, do you know why humans work so hard? It’s because they feel bored without it.

이 심심하다는 것은 국어사전의 개념으로 생각하면 안 되요. 공허해서 일하는 거예요. 왜 사람들이 빨리 조기 은퇴하면 일찍 죽는지 아세요? 심심해서 죽는 거예요. 공허함을 어떻게 견딜 수 가 없어서. 그게 돼지우리 속에 있는 탕자예요.

You shouldn’t define the meaning of ‘boredom’ in a dictionary. People work because they feel blank. Do you know why the early retirees die untimely? It’s because they’re bored to death and they can’t bear the feeling of emptiness. That’s the state of the prodigal son in the pigpen.

그런데 그렇게 여전히 자신의 힘을 부인하지 못하고, 스스로를 신뢰하며, 자기 자신만을 위해서 사는 이들에게 종교심이라는 것이 가입을 하게 되면, 그게 위장된 성실이라는 것으로 드러나요.

Then, if a religious spirit is added to the people who still can’t deny their power, who trust themselves and who live for self-benefit, it emerges as the disguised sincerity.

여전히 자기 자신이 삶의 중심입니다. 아버지의 영광이 자신의 영광이 되고, 아버지의 기쁨이 자신의 기쁨이 되는 그러한 하나님 자녀의 삶이 아닌, 자기 자신의 필요에 의해서 아버지의 말을 들어주는 척 하는 위장된 성실인 것입니다.

Still, their own selves are the center of their life. Instead of living the life of God’s children that Father’s glory becomes their glory and Father’s pleasure becomes their pleasure, they only pretend to listen to what Father says under their own necessity, which is the disguised sincerity. 

그들이 원하는 것은 이 세상 속에서 자기 자신의 가치를 향상시켜주는 절대자의 도움과 힘이 필요한 것입니다.

What they want is the help and the power of the absolute who guarantees to improve their values in this world.

내가 종교행위를 열심히 해서라도 다른 사람에게 인기있고 존경받는 사람이 되어야지!’ 이게 위장된 성실이예요. 큰 아들이예요, 그것이.

‘Even by making religious activities hard, I’ll become a popular and respectable person by others!’ This is the disguised sincerity, the true nature of the older son.

그게 그래서 그들은 자기가 원하는 것을 얻어내기 위해 성실하게 행위라는 것들을 내어 놓습니다.

To get what they want, they produce so called ‘sincere deeds’.

개혁을 외치는 혹자들이 자기들처럼 깨끗하게 살지 못하는 자들을 마치 개 취급 하는 경우 보시죠. 너희들은 왜 우리처럼 못살아 하면서 막 때리잖아요. 큰아들이라니깐요.

You probably have seen some people crying for a reform treat others like a beast who aren’t living as cleanly as them. The so called reformers even beat them saying ‘Why can’t you live like us?’ This is the nature of the older son.

그들은 하나님의 은혜가 아니면 자기들도 돼지에 불과한 존재라는 것을 인정 안하는 거예요. 그러니까 남들을 가리켜 마구 질타를 할 수 있는거예요.

They just don’t accept they’re also a mere pig without the grace of God. That’s why they can abuse and condemn others so severely.

너희들은 왜 우리들처럼 깨끗이 못살아? 왜 너희 교회는 재정이 투명하지 못해? 왜 니네 교회는 이래? 왜 니네 교회는 바르지 못해? 이게 다 뭡니까? 나는 큰아들이야. 너는 왜 둘째 아들처럼 그렇게 살고 있어?’

‘Why can’t you live cleanly like us? Why isn’t the finance of your church transparent? What’s going on in your church? Why isn’t your church right?’ What’s this all about? It’s the attitude of boasting off ‘I’m the pure and sincere older son, then, why are you living like the prodigal second son?’

그놈이 더 나쁜 놈이라니까요. 그토록 성실하게 아버지의 명을 좇아서 열심히 살았던 큰 아들이 아버지의 기쁨을 자신의 기쁨으로 삼지 못합니다. 아버지는 기뻐 죽겠어요. 잔치를 벌였어요. 그런데 큰아들은 화가 났어요. 이게 아버지의 마음을 헤아리는 자녀의 삶입니까? 

That person is more evil. The older son, who lived hard following his father’s commands so sincerely, couldn’t thrive on his father’s pleasure as his. The father was bursting to dance with joy and held a feast. But, the older son went mad. Is it the life of a son who truly understands his father’s feeling? 

그렇게 무언가 보상을 바라고 성실하게 일하는 사람을 성경은 ‘종’이라고 부릅니다. 29절에 ‘섬겨’라는 단어가 나오지요?내가 아버지 섬겼잖아요. 그 단어가 ‘둘류오’라는 단어입니다. 그 단어는 ‘둘로스’라는 단어와 뿌리가 같은 단어로 ‘종으로 섬기다’라는 뜻입니다.

The Bible calls someone a ‘servant’ who works hard for some rewards. In the verse 29, there comes the word ‘serve or slave’, doesn’t it? He said ‘I’ve been slaving for you, Father!’ The word is ‘douleuo (δουλεύω)’ in ancient Greek. It came from the same root with the word ‘doulous (δολος)’, meaning ‘enslaved as a servant or a slave’.

스스로 그렇게 이야기하고 있어요. 나는 종처럼 섬겼어요. 왜 나에게 보상 안 해 주세요? 이야기 하는 거예요. 종처럼 섬겼어요. 왜 보상 안 해 주세요? 그러니까 큰 아들은 아버지 곁에서 열심히 아버지 말을 듣고 순종하고 있는 듯 보였지만,거기에는 아들로서의 책임과 의무와 감사에서 격발된 성실이 아닌, 자기가 원하는 것을 얻어내기 위한 종으로서의 위장된 성실이 들어 있었던 거예요.

The older son was confessing himself, ‘I’ve been slaving for you. Why don’t you give me a reward? I’ve been served you like a servant, then why don’t you give me any reward?’ That is, instead of being triggered by the filial responsibility, duty and gratitude as a good son, the older son, seemingly obeying his father and working hard, was actually had the disguised sincerity as a slave to get what he wanted.  

그건 아버지의 마음을 알고, 아버지의 뜻에 순종한 것이 아니라 아버지가 가진 어떤 것을 얻어내기 위해 이를 악물고 해낸 포장된 악이었던 것입니다.

His heart was far from understanding the father’s feeling or obeying him, but rather it was for getting something out of his father; the evil plausibly wrapped with clenched teeth.

새벽기도 나오기 싫어 죽겠는데 혹시 하나님이 삐질까봐 백일을 이를 악물고 나왔어요. 그래서 나중에는 하나님이 더 미워졌어요. 그건 벼른다는 거예요. 내가 너보다 힘이 없으니까 이렇게 참고 있지만, 내가 언젠가 너보다 힘을 더 갖게 되면 나를 귀찮게 하는 너를 죽여 버릴꺼야. 그것과 똑 같은 것입니다. 그게 악입니다.

Let’s say you hate coming to Early Morning Prayers, but for fear of making God sulky, you bite the bullet and attend the service for a hundred days. So, you end up hating God more later. It’s not being sincere but waiting for a right moment for revenge. ‘Since I’m weaker than you, I am bearing it now, but when I have more power than you someday, I’ll kill you bothering me.’ It’s the same as the disguised sincerity. This is evil.

그렇다면 아버지의 마음을 알아드리지 못하고 아버지의 곁을 떠나서 자기 마음대로 허랑방탕하게 살았던 둘째와 아버지 곁에는 늘 있었지만, 역시 아버지의 마음을 헤아리지 못하고, 아버지의 기쁨에 참여하지 못하고, 단지 아버지의 소유가 탐이 나서 열심을 부린 첫째와 뭐가 다릅니까?

Then, what’s the difference between the second son who didn’t understand his father’s mind living on his will squandering away all his share and the older son who didn’t understand his father’s heart either and couldn’t join in his father’s joy, only working hard coveting his father’s property?

큰 아들이 자기 동생을 환대하는 아버지께 화를 내면서 ‘왜 저런 놈을 환영해줍니까?’ 라고 하면서 ‘당신의 아들’이라고 이야기를 해요. 자기 동생, 형제라고 안 합니다. 형제취급 안 해요. 내가 최고거든요. 당신의 아들이라고 이야기를 해요.

The older son was mad at his father who was welcoming the second son and asked ‘Why do you welcome such a bastard?’, addressing his little brother ‘your son’ to his father. He didn’t say ‘my brother’. He didn’t want to treat him as his own brother since the older son thought himself all the better than his brother. He called his brother ‘your son’ to his father.

이런 나쁜 놈이 있어요? 왜 그렇게 화가 나요? ‘나도 그렇게 하고 싶었는데 당신 유산 다 차지하고 싶어서 나는 참고 있었다는 거예요. 나도 그렇게 하고 싶었어요. 나는 둘째가 부러웠다는 거예요 속으로. 나는 그렇게 참았는데 왜 다 버리고 온 놈한테 잔치를 벌여주냐’는 거예요.

What a bad guy he is. Why is he so angry? It’s because he had the ideas in his mind; ‘I wish I do the same. But I’ve toughed it out to get all the inheritance. I really wanted to do the same. I’ve envied my little brother in my deep heart. But, I have endured it to the end, then Father, why are you having a feast to welcome the scumbag who squandered everything?’

그런데 하나님은 마음을 보신다고 했지요? 똑같은 거예요. 오히려 둘째가 더 성숙합니다.  둘째는 그걸 다 경험하고 와서 아버지 나는 아버지 집의 문지기, 종이 되어도 괜찮아요. 이러고 왔는데 이 큰 아들은 여전히 ‘나는 당신의 아들인데 왜 나한테 보상 안해줘요?’ 라고 종으로 살고 있다는 말이예요. 요한복음 15장 15절.

But the thing is, God looks into our heart, right? From God’s view, those two are the same. Rather, the second son is more mature. After experiencing everything, he said ‘I could be a doorman or a hired servant for you’. But the older son persisted, ‘I’m your son, then why aren’t you giving me a reward?’ He was living with a servant’s heart. Look at the Gospel of John, chapter 15, verse 15

(요15:15)

15 이제부터는 너희를 종이라 하지 아니하리니 종은 주인의 하는 것을 알지 못함이라 너희를 친구라 하였노니

<Jn.15:15>
15I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.

보세요. 종은 주인의 마음을 헤아리지 못합니다. 자녀는 알아야 해요. 아버지가 기뻐하면 그게 내 기쁨이 되어야 해요. 둘째가 나가서 무엇을 하고 왔던들 나랑 무슨 상관 이예요? 나도 똑 같은 존재인데. 그런데 누가 누구를 욕합니까?

Look at that. A servant doesn’t understand the master’s mind, but the children should. Our father’s joy should be our joy. Whatever the second son did outside, it’s none of our business, right? Since we’re the same creatures, who’s eligible to blame others?

여러분, 이 큰아들은 마을사람들 앞에서 아버지를 모욕했어요. 아버지가 마을사람들을 다 초청해놓고 잔치를 벌였는데 문 밖에서 안 들어왔어요. 이 사람도 돌에 맞아 죽어야 해요. 똑 같은 죄거든요. 아버지를 모독한 거에요, 그 자리에서. 하늘의 관점으로는 똑 같은 것입니다.

Everybody, this older son insulted his own father in front of the whole town. His father invited the villagers and threw a party, but the older son refused to go in the house. This one should be stoned to death as well because it’s the same sin. He insulted his father on the spot. From Heaven’s view, it’s the same sin.

아버지 말씀 잘 듣고 힘들어도 늘 새벽부터 나와서 아버지 밭에서 일했습니다. 아버지를 잘 모셨어요. 효자상 줘야 해요.그러나 그 마음의 중심에 아버지가 없다면 그 둘은 똑같이 돌에 맞아 죽어야 하는 존재예요.

Though it was hard, the first son listened to his father well and worked in the father’s field from dawn. He took good care of his father. He seemed to deserve the award for a filial son. However, if there wasn’t his father in the center of his heart, he should be stoned to death just like his little brother.

우리는 하나님의 자녀입니다. 아들이예요. 근데 잃어버렸다 찾은 아들입니다. 잃어버렸다는 것은 하나님이 전에 소유한 적이 있다는 뜻이지요. 하나님 나라의 완성된 왕자와 공주들 이예요, 여러분은요.

We’re the children of God. We’re His sons, the recovered ones once lost. Being lost means God possessed us before. You’re the princes and princesses completed in the kingdom of God. That’s what you are.

그러나 아버지가 여러분에게 뭘 가르쳐 주시기 위해 잠시 잃어버림을 자취하신 거예요. 너무 마음 아파서 하늘에서 우리 성자예수님과 발 뒤꿈치를 들고 우리를 내려다보고 계시면서도 잘 배워, 거기가 돼지우리야, 거기가 지옥이야, 그게 쥐엄열매야, 이거 배우라고 놔두시는 거예요.

However, to make us learn something, God selected Himself to lose us. Then, with the shattered heart, God is watching over us with the Son Jesus Christ from Heaven lifting heels and cheering; ‘Learn it well there, that’s the pigpen, that’s hell, that’s the pods of husks’. God lets us stay here to learn such things.

그 아들이 그거 잘 배우고 ‘아버지, 아버지가 최고군요.’ 하고 돌아올 때 맨발로 뛰어나와 여러분을 부둥켜 안아주실 것입니다. 그걸 인생이라고 하는거예요. 근데 여기에서 뭘 추구하시는 것입니까, 여러분이.

After finishing the course, when you return to Heaven saying ‘Father, You’re the best!’, God the Father will run to you with bare feet and hug you tightly. That is the life. Then, what on earth are you seeking for in this world?

그런데 예수를 믿는다고 하면서도 우리는 우리의 티끌 됨이나 종됨을 자각하는 것 이전에 우리의 열심과 노력으로 뭔가 업적을 쌓아서 하나님 앞에 가지고 가려는 왜곡된 성실을 내어놓고 있는 거예요. 그걸 자아 숭배교라고 하는 것입니다.

While saying we believe in Jesus, even before being aware of our uselessness and enslavement, we bring forth the distorted sincerity first to go to Heaven by achieving something through our own enthusiasm and merits. We call it an ‘ego-worship’ religion.

여러분의 삶 속에서 나오는 성실과 선한 삶이 진짜 하나님의 은혜로 나오는 것인지 아니면 경건병에서 나오는 것인지 어떻게 구별할 수 있는지 아세요?

In your life, do you know how you can tell the real sincerity and good life based on the grace of God from the eusebeiagenic?

내가 숨어서 어떤 일을 했는데 끝까지 아무도 그 일을 안 알아줘, 그때 섭섭하세요? 그건 큰아들의 삶입니다. 그래도 누군가 하나는 알아줬으면 하지요? 내가 이 고생하는 거 그래도 누군가 좀 알아줬으면…

You secretly did something good, but nobody noticed it to the end. Do you feel sorry for yourself in the situation? If so, it’s the life of the older son. You wish somebody, at least one person, to notice what you’ve done, don’t you? ‘I wish just anybody should notice my hassles…’

아버지가 너무 감사해서 하는 게 아니라 누군가에게 내 가치향상을 위해서 나의 인기를 위해서 누군가에게 보이기 위해서 여러분이 그런 일을 하고 있다면 여러분은 위장된 악을 내놓고 있는 거예요. 그걸 자기 의라고 하는 것입니다.

Not for the gratitude to Father but for your value improvement, popularity or a good impression to others, if you do such things, you’re producing the well-wrapped evil. That’s the self-righteousness.

그런데 아버지의 기쁨이 내 기쁨이기 때문에 누가 알아주지 않아도 손발이 부르트도록 그냥 나는 감사함으로 할께요…그러면 숨어서 죽도록 하세요. 그거 자체가 여러분의 복입니다. 누가 안 알아줘도 괜찮아요 그건.

However, if your heart says ‘Since Father’s joy is mine, I’ll work hard in gratitude without being noticed by anyone’, then do it hard secretly. It’s your blessing itself. Though nobody notice what you do, it’s good for you.

자, 백마리 양중에 한 마리 양, 열 드라크마중에 한 드라크마, 두 아들 중에 한 아들…마지막 가장 악한 한 아들, 그 아들마저도 건져내시는 당신의 백성, 그가 창세전에 택해진 당신의 백성이라면 무슨 일이 있어도 구원해내시는 하나님의 약속이 그 비유 안에 들어가 있는 거예요. 그래서 그게 소망이고 복음인 것입니다.

Well, one sheep of the one hundred, one coin of the ten, one son of the two, and the last, the most evil son… The covenant of God that He saves His people, including the wickedest one if he is the son of God, no matter what it takes, is contained in the parable of Father and two sons. That’s the reason it’s our hope and the Gospel.

얼마나 기뻐요. 이 큰아들이 그냥 쫓겨 났으면 어쩔뻔했어요. 우리 다 큰 아들인데…초청하신다 말이예요. ‘얘야, 들어와.너도 들어와’ 하신단 말이예요.

What happy news it is! What would we do if the older son had been kicked out without being saved? We are all like the older son…Then, Father invites him in. ‘My son, come inside. You can come in’, God says.

여러분 그 잃은 양의 비유에서 하나님이 이상한 말씀을 하세요. 잃어버린 양 한 마리를 찾아와서 동네사람들과 가족들을 모아놓고 잔치를 벌이십니다.

Everybody, in the parable of the lost sheep, Jesus said something strange. After finding the lost sheep, the shepherd threw a party with the neighbors and family.

당시 유대인들의 잔치에는 반드시 양고기가 필요해요. 한 마리 찾아와서 한 열 마리 잡아야 해요. 이런 일이 어딨어요, 도대체? 하나님에 의해 잃어버렸던 그 아들인 양이 돌아오면 나머지 양 잡아서 잔치하는 거예요.

In Jewish culture at that time, mutton was indispensible for a feast. It means since the shepherd found one lost sheep, he had to slaughter other ten sheep. What on earth is that? Does it make sense? When the lost sheep returns-the son lost by God, the rest sheep are butchered for the feast.

회개할 것이 없는 99마리 양, 그 양이 뭐예요? 회개할 것이 없다라고 생각하는, 나는 잘났다고 생각하는 그 놈들은 회식용 양이라는 거예요. 그렇잖아요?

The 99 sheep that don’t need to repent, who are they? The ones thinking ‘I’ve nothing to repent, I’m good and righteous’ are the meat for the feast, aren’t they?

그게 99마리는 먼저 돌아왔고, 나중에 한 마리 돌아온 그 양, 그 양이 돌아올 때 더 기뻐한다면 계속해서 들락날락해야 하잖아요. 하나님을 기쁘게 해 드릴라면. 이미 들어와있는 우리 때문에는 하나도 안 기뻐한다는 얘기예요, 그게? 아니란 말입니다.

Does it mean even though 99 sheep came back earlier, God pleases more when the last sheep comes back? If so, we should come in and out frequently to please God, don’t we? Does the story mean God pleases less with us who have already come back? It doesn’t mean that.

나는 회개할게 없어요 하는 바리새인, 서기관 같은 우리 같은 놈들, 그걸 하나님이 전혀 안 기뻐한다는 거예요.

The ones like the Pharisees and the teachers of the law who argue ‘I have nothing to repent’; they are the ones God doesn’t please with.

내가 돼지인줄 알고 아버지 꼭 붙들고 절대 안 떨어질 거예요 하고 꼭 붙어있는 그 양, 그 양이 돌아오는 것만 기뻐하시는 거예요.

The sheep who confesses ‘I’m a filthy pig, so I’ll hold you tightly and never let You go now’; God only pleases with the returning of that sheep.

그렇게 가장 악한 큰 아들까지도 하나님 아버지의 긍휼을 입을 수 있었던 것은 하나님의 진짜 큰 아들이 창기와 함께 아버지의 것을 허비하고 있는 우리 동생들을 찾아서 이 땅에 내려와서 그들의 삶의 실체를 바로 보게 하시고 돌에 맞아 죽어야 할 그들의 죽음을 십자가에서 대신 죽어서 그들을 아버지께로 돌려보내시는 하늘의 장자역할을 잘 해내셨기 때문이예요.

The reason even the most evil son could receive God’s mercy is because Jesus, the real first Son of God, who came down to the earth to look for us His little brothers squandering away Father’s possession with prostitutes and make us see the reality of our life, successfully completed His role of the first son of Heaven to send us back to Father by being killed on the cross instead of us who deserved to be stoned to death.

장자들의 총회는 하늘장자들의 총회인거예요. 그러니 함부러 남들을 판단하거나 정죄하거나 제발 교회에서 잘난 척 좀 하지 마세요. 더 숨으시고 더 아래로 내려 가십시요.

The general assembly is the assembly of the firstborn whose names are written in Heaven. So, never judge or condemn others thoughtlessly nor boast off yourself in the church. Please conceal and lower yourself to be more humble.

온라인헌금 안내 : 신한은행 / 100-034-629879 예금주:서울서머나